Small tarp plus poles recommendation please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kipper12 15 Apr 2022

Apologies if this is in the wrong place.

im after a small, tarp, so far so easy.  I’m looking to use it to give my oldish lurcher some shade when he comes climbing with me, as he doesn’t do strong sun well.  I’ve found one from decathlon which looks ok.  Any other shouts?  Im looking for a smallish one with poles and not difficult to put up.

thanks

Basemetal 15 Apr 2022
In reply to kipper12:

What about one of those compact beach/fishing shelters, the hooped open on one side kind?, or a short store/larder tent, like a mini igloo?

OP kipper12 15 Apr 2022
In reply to Basemetal:

That’s a good shout, thanks.

Jon Read 15 Apr 2022
In reply to kipper12:

I use a silver umbrella (this one, below) for the dog when we have our heatwaves. Lets any breeze going (unlike a shelter). Doubles as a rain shield too  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08CTYZY8T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o...

Works best if there is a crack to jam it into, else you can rig it to a rucksack to keep it in place.

Post edited at 15:38
OP kipper12 16 Apr 2022
In reply to Jon Read:

Thanks, that’s my reasoning behind a tarp it gives shade and allows a breeze, which beach shelters don’t.  How does the umbrella cope with breeze? 

Jon Read 16 Apr 2022
In reply to kipper12:

If you can rig it, fine. If not, pita.

SDM 16 Apr 2022
In reply to kipper12:

We have a large Decathlon tarp with poles for keeping the kids in the shade and to double up as an awning for camping. It is certainly not easy to put up.

The pegs supplied with it are useless, we had to replace them with some more effective pegs. If there's so much as a slight breeze, it becomes a 3 person job to put it up.

Once it's up, it's great.

MisterPiggy 17 Apr 2022
In reply to kipper12:

I made one just last week for a friend's Beauceron when they're out herding sheep in strong sunlight: dog gets hot when taking his tea break.

Piece of silvery tarp (cut from a Decathlon sun shelter found abandoned in the woods), eight eyelets set into two sides of the rectangle. She puts it up like an A frame tent using walking poles; like a slab sided shelter or with one pole like a lopsided teepee - depends on terrain - pegs/guides and dog happy until sheep start playing up again.

I imagine one can buy similar material online; the metal gizmo for setting the eyelets was £15 from a DIY centre; pegs and cord for guys could be sourced at Decathlon.

Had I not found that ruined tent in the forest, and if I didn't like making things, I'd probably suggested that she buy one of those pop-up tents from Decathlon. Unsightly disc to carry around, but light weight; and unless very high wind, no need for pegs cos dog weighs close to 50kg and would hold it down in all but strongest wind.

Happy Easter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...