Walking without AALA

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DotPilley 24 Feb 2022

Morning all, I am an ML, I usually work on DofE. I've been asked to take out a group of home-schooled under-18s on a navigation day in the Brecon Beacons which is an area I know well. I don't have an AALA licence so I appreciate that, as I'm being paid, all under 18s will have to be accompanied by a parent or guardian. That has been agreed to. 

There are eight young people wanting to come along. I take out groups of 8 on navigation days, I'm comfortable with that ratio. But now I have 8 adults with me as well. I presume I will be responsible for them also? It's starting to look like a bit of a pain.

Anyone else been in this situation? Thoughts? I wonder if I need another ML or just sack it...

jezb1 24 Feb 2022
In reply to DotPilley:

You'll definitely be responsible for the adults too...

I would want a second staff member with those numbers. Don't know what your current insurance setup is, but you'd want employer's liability insurance if employing someone else.

OP DotPilley 24 Feb 2022
In reply to jezb1: thanks for that. Good advice. I’ve spent the morning thinking and researching and I think I’m going to downgrade the walk and I’ve also got the option of working under someone else’s AALA license 👍🏻

Paul at work 24 Feb 2022
In reply to DotPilley:

Or just stay outside of licensable terrain....

"Trekking is journeying on foot, horse or pedal cycle or skiing over terrain which is moorland or more than 600 metres above sea level; and from which it would take more than 30 minutes travelling time to reach any accessible road or refuge; but it does not include skiing on a prepared and marked-out ski-run.

The most familiar trekking activities include hill walking, mountaineering, fell running, orienteering, pony trekking, off-road cycling and off-piste skiing."

Toerag 25 Feb 2022
In reply to DotPilley:

Your potential group size of 16 is far too big to manage effectively - you'll be stopping for someone to have a piss every 10 minutes for a start.  For example, UK Scouting rules state group size in wild terrain should be between 4 & 7 - when you get to 8 you split into 2 groups of 4.  So probably your best option would be to split the activity over two occasions or leaders, each with 8 participants.

Neil Williams 25 Feb 2022
In reply to Toerag:

I'd agree on the group sizes.  The reason Scouting has that restriction is that you get confusion about who is responsible for who in a large group, and that has caused deaths in Scouting before when the rules were not there.  And with parents involved there is going to be *even more* confusion than if it was just a big group of kids.

OTOH if you're sticking with lowland paths away from significant hazards, then it might not be too much of an issue, though traipsing through farms with a group of 20-odd is a *bit* antisocial.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...