Scarpa Vapour V - latest model: stretch question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nwclimber 08 Feb 2022

I've had a couple of pairs of Vapours over the last few years - love them. Bought online a pair of the new model in my normal size but they seem very tight.

If you have a pair, have they stretched at all? Or would you recommend me exchanging them for a larger size? And if you've had pairs of the old and new models, what's your experience of differing sizes between them (if any)?

Thanks in advance for all helpful responses.

In reply to nwclimber:

They give a little, but not a lot. I certainly wouldn't recommend getting them too small, as it'd put you through quite a lot of unnecessary pain compared to buying a pair that fit from the get-go.

deacondeacon 08 Feb 2022
In reply to nwclimber:

Don't ever buy shoes online, even if they're the same model/size. They're made in smaller batches and can definitely vary in size. I also find that I need to go up around half a size in summer so this can change things. 🙂

dominic o 09 Feb 2022
In reply to nwclimber:

I've had numerous pairs, first the oranges then the greens and more recently the blue / yellow. I've stuck with the same size throughout. I reckon they stretch half a size. For what it's worth, if anyone from Scapa is reading, I think they've got a tiny bit WORSE with each iteration! 

janegallwey 09 Feb 2022
In reply to nwclimber:

I have the newest ones and they’ve stretched in a very annoying way, possibly to do with the two different colours (types?) of rubber at the front. What’s happened is they’ve actually now bulged over the tip of the toe box so that the first thing to contact the wall is the front of my toes rather than the bottom of my toes. Hard to explain, but quite annoying, think they’re still alright shoes but now not good for anything where you need to get on a tight foothold - pockets/cracks etc.

tldr: I’d suggest don’t get them too small, they do stretch but in weird directions.

Alkis 09 Feb 2022
In reply to janegallwey:

Exactly the same thing happened to mine which resulted in them being the first pair of shoes I burst through the rand of in over a decade. The stitch went before the rubber went as well, which is novel.

In reply to janegallwey:

Have found exactly the same thing - they’re so different to when they’re new

Alkis 09 Feb 2022
In reply to dominic o:

I cannot comment about the orange ones but the greens were literally perfect for me. It's a shame the new ones are muh.

OP nwclimber 13 Feb 2022
In reply to everyone:

Sorry it's taken me so long to acknowledge your help but I very much appreciate your comments. Thank you all!

Pina 13 Feb 2022
In reply to nwclimber:

I wouldn't bother with the new model. They're a very different shoe to the original and the lack of leather means they stretch very weirdly as mentioned by the poster above.

PaulJepson 13 Feb 2022
In reply to nwclimber:

I've used the oranges, limes and now blue and yellow. Don't wear the blue and yellow because they're just not comfortable at all. Fit is weird. I like the oranges in 44 cos they're quite stiff but that gives me all-day comfort. The limes were a weapon at 43.5. The blue and yellow at 44 don't feel tight but also don't feel comfortable. 

If anyone has the oranges or limes in 43.5 or 44, please sell them to me!

wbo2 14 Feb 2022
In reply to nwclimber:  As per the above, the blue/yellow are a different shape, and I've gone to instincts instead,  I thought the Vapor V in blue yellow was OK enough, but not as good as my resoled greens, but the lace up Vapor really poor.

In reply to deacondeacon:

> Don't ever buy shoes online, even if they're the same model/size. They're made in smaller batches and can definitely vary in size. I also find that I need to go up around half a size in summer so this can change things. 🙂

Hey Deacon,

Whilst I'm undoubtedly in favour of buying shoes somewhere I can actually try them, I'm not sure that the sentiment regarding them varying in size still stands.

Maybe it once did, with Five Ten being the legendary example, where you could get two separate boxes of the same size that were clearly different when put side-by-side; however, in more recent times I've not witnessed anything anywhere near as dramatic. Even if this did happen Scarpa would probably be the last brand I'd expect it with, because their quality of construction is absolutely excellent.

Interesting to hear the feedback about people's toes going through the rand though. My initial thoughts are that perhaps they were sized up too small, but the fact that several people have experienced it makes me question that.

All-in-all though I just wish (like many others) that they'd given the Vapour V just a little more support within the midsole. Whilst I have a suspicion it's probably a far better selling shoe than its predecessors, that doesn't necessarily mean it's better for what most of the people posting on here wanted it for! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...