Portable Projectors

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Malloch 15 Dec 2021

I’m looking for a portable projector to watch films in a van on wet days. 

As we might be in the EU, we aren’t able to tether any devices to our mobile hotspots, so ideally I’m looking for something that can connect to a phone (android or apple) where we will be able to stream Netflix/Amazon directly to the projector. 

I’ve seen a few which seem to have built in Android operating systems, but it seems like these also need to be connected to a Wi-fi network to work.

I’ve also seen some which allow you to connect your phone via a HDMI adapter, but some reviews suggest that, for example, you can’t stream Netflix in this way due to the aforementioned operating systems - instead you have to install the app directly onto the projector and play from there. 

Does anyone have any recommendations for something which might work? I’m struggling to find a definitive answer for one which definitely works in this way. 

BRILLBRUM 15 Dec 2021
In reply to James Malloch:

Hi James, we bought a Goodee mini LED projector from Amazon in the height of the lockdown for movie nights in the garden with the kids. On the face of it, it works brilliantly, decent size image, easy to focus, ok-ish sound output.

The reality is exactly what you have found in that output from Netflix, NowTV, Amazon, and AppleTV app's is restricted so you can't stream to an external output. The reason is most likely copyright related and to stop mass audience screenings which would eat in to the media giants revenues.

Mine does say 'stick compatible' however I've yet to try that, but I do know that you can still get sticks for the above so who knows. We resorted to a mini DVD player and buying job-lots of second hand DVD's at a pound each from CEX and the like. BBC and the other terrestrial channels will steam from a laptop and through the projector, I recall though.

Def with the investment but there are limitations.

mrphilipoldham 15 Dec 2021

I bought a cheap £50 projector (which is incidentally really good!) a year or so ago mostly with the intention of having it hooked up to my Mac but the wife wanted to use her phone on it (Huawei) and bought a USB-C to HDMI adapter and it’s worked fine with Netflix and most streaming services other than Amazon Prime if I recall correctly. Then a mate has streamed Prime from his phone (unknown model) to a different branded projector.. so I think there’s an element of pot luck involved. 

OP James Malloch 16 Dec 2021
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

Thanks for that - do you know which projector you bought? Might be worth trying a cheap one like that so if it doesn’t work there’s less to lose. 

OP James Malloch 16 Dec 2021
In reply to BRILLBRUM:

Thanks. That’s my worry. Will be a bit pointless having it if it can’t then be used to stream without additional Wi-fi. 

mrphilipoldham 16 Dec 2021

Yes it was this one: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07796YKR4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o...

Think it must have been on offer when I bought it! Still, I wouldn't be disappointed at £80 either.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...