Sheffield trade recommendations, bay advice & general boring building

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PaulJepson 01 Dec 2021

Hello UKCers

I've recently got myself a typical little Sheffield Victorian terrace house in need of a complete overhaul and I know there's probably quite a few people on here who have similar, so any recommendations or first-hand experiences on the following trades would be appreciated!

Damp Survey - There's a few issues to address. Would probably prefer in independent survey (i.e. someone who will not be carrying out the works themselves)

General Builder - Someone who could ideally complete any work thrown up by the damp survey, re-build a brick bay (more on this later), and build a small brick outhouse.

Flooring Contractor - Some of the joists and boards need replacing and the kitchen floor needs levelling. There looks to have been a leak in the bathroom so a lot of that floor is probably rotten. 

Carpet Fitters

Window Fitters - New windows in bay and new front door

Floor tiler

Bathroom fitter

Kitchen fitter

Plasterer - quite extensive replastering required, including some lath ceilings.

Heating engineer - new boiler

The building survey has flagged slight rotational movement in the bay, caused by it having shallower footings than the rest of the house (very common around these parts apparently). It's not so bad that I'd need to do anything with it immediately (hairline crack internally and some loose masonry in the outside joints) but since I want to replace the single-glazed windows, rotten timber frames and tired cracked lead roof, I figure I may as well get it all done together. Has anyone got any experience of doing something similar? Any advice? Rough cost and timeframe I should expect? The surveyor suggested that building down better foundations to the same level at the rest of the house (there is a cellar at the front) and rebuilding the bay would probably be best. 

Also any general recommendations from fellow industrial victorian terrace stock owners would be welcomed (I've already got my thick socks and big coat ready)

Cheers all

Jenny C 01 Dec 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

Sheffield window centre for Windows and doors (don't think they do wood though)

In reply to PaulJepson:

No, but avoid like the f**king plague Warwick Developments (Butterthwaite Lane, Ecclesfield).  We bought windows and a conservatory door from them and although the product itself was fine they were over 6 months late fitting them, the first set of doors they fitted opened in the wrong direction (they did replace them with the correct ones) and I am convinced that they lied to us continually about why they were late (I rang their supplier to check they were lying).  They only sorted the final issues when I turned up on a Saturday and stood in their doorway turning all their customers away until they agreed to sort the problems.

gribble 01 Dec 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

Hello.  Sorry to say this, but it seems you may well have to be prepared to pay a fortune, and that's assuming you're willing to wait a year for a builder who may or may not turn up. I'm in a similar house, but further down the line.  Currently trying to get a small kitchen extension done, and good builders are close to impossible to employ.  Then there's the 20%+ increase in price to due shortage of materials.  I really do hope you have more luck.  Or give up work and life, and learn how to do it all yourself!

OP PaulJepson 01 Dec 2021
In reply to gribble:

I'll be doing as much as I can myself but I draw the line at structural foundations!

robert-hutton 01 Dec 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

The tired cracked lead roof, don't let anyone tell you " I will refelt it for you" lead is still the best for small bay window roofs in my opinion.

Sheffield windows are great you might be able to buy cheaper but not better.

Post edited at 13:49
In reply to robert-hutton:

I was thinking of glassing it to be honest. 

JimmAwelon 01 Dec 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

RE: Damp Survey - I recommend www.timberwise.co.uk . They will undertake the survey, detail recommend remedial measures and then give you a no obligation price for them to effect the work. It's up to you if you want them to do the work and despite their name the don't just do timber related surveys

I am in North Wales so have never used the branch of the firm that covers Sheffield but I have had 3 surveys from them on 3 houses and have no complaints. 1st survey (dry rot and undersized timber floor joists) meant that I pulled out of the sale; 2nd survey (corroded steel lintels causing cracking of render over windows on front elevation) gave enough information to direct a 3rd party builder to do the work; 3rd survey (degraded DPC) and I had them do the work. I don't think that the surveys were more than £150 but the last one was 9  years ago now.

chadogrady 01 Dec 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

Don’t use Pyramid Carpets. They trashed the freshly painted walls in 4 rooms of my house and then claimed it was nothing to do with them. They also laid Karndeen flooring which I’ve had nothing but problems with and they are useless at getting to come and fix. 

Toerag 01 Dec 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

This is why UKC are great - any other social media would see everyone recommending their best mate / cousin / sister's fiancee etc., but UKC tells you who to avoid, which is much more useful .

Post edited at 15:01
 deacondeacon 01 Dec 2021
In reply to chadogrady:

> Don’t use Pyramid Carpets. They trashed the freshly painted walls in 4 rooms of my house and then claimed it was nothing to do with them. 

Yep, trashed a load of skirting in my house. My wife said they carpeted 4 rooms and a staircase in 1.5 hours. Said they were running around like headless chickens.

deacondeacon 01 Dec 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

If you're looking for some Underfloor Heating, I'm your trustworthy, reliable man 🙂

Post edited at 15:19
In reply to PaulJepson:

Oh I was also reading into options on insulating under the ground floor sub-floor. Seems that something like 100mm PIR tight to the floorboards (to give the bottom of the joist space to breathe) is the best method? There's nothing there currently, so it's going to be freezing come February. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...