NEW ROUTE CARD: Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Lonely Loch Cuaich (formerly Quoich) reaches west into the rugged hills of Knoydart's Rough Bounds, a classic west highland skyline that speaks of adventure and adversity. North of the loch, the gentler slopes may lack such promise, but once height is gained – an ascent of remarkable ease on one of the finest historic stalker’s paths anywhere – the true quality of Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach is revealed. Striding high above a series of craggy northern corries, this Munro pair offers a grand ridge walk to match any in the west, with spacious views out along the loch to that summit-crowded horizon. 

Post edited at 12:44

Read more

Harry Jarvis 29 Oct 2021
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

I remember this well. The hardest part was finding the start of the path in among the rhododendrons. As you say, the stalker's path is a marvel, and makes the ascent a joy. 

ScraggyGoat 29 Oct 2021

These hills are far, far better from the North, but the trade route as described here is the easiest way; no walk-in,  no river crossing, and no Glen level trudge back, hence always get regurgitated (sorry Dan).

These hills have a chalk and cheese character the south open slopes wide vistas and the very good stalkers path with easy access  The North craggy, rugged and complex, but with harder access, and pulls you back for further exploration.

From the North you feel much more remote, you have the choice of ridges bounding fine corries to ascend and descend (rather than open slopes) which are rarely travelled, there is scope for low commitment outcrop slabby scrambling on exceptionally good rock, take it or leave it terrain, and more entertaining than the south by a long way,  on the lower sections approaching to the central ridge on Mailach (and probably elsewhere). The central ridge is then is narrow enough to provide good mountaineering type fun in a wild setting in Winter, or a surprise in Summer (granted it’s no Forcan Ridge). You get to see into and appreciate these  northern corries far more than the standard route (I must go back and bivi in them) and there are surprising stalkers paths (but not as good as the southern flank).

But it’s a long day and doesn’t fit with a ‘ticking’ ethos which the south approach caters for. For those that want to explore and do not need or want to follow ‘a trade route’ you will not be disappointed. Crocs or sandals might come in handy for the river.

Post edited at 14:26
 Harry Jarvis 29 Oct 2021
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

Where would you start to do it from from the North? Looking at the map, would one option be to walk up Glen Quoich on the west side of the loch to Alltbeithe and then along Easter Glen Quoich for 3-4 miles or so before heading south up Spidean Mialach?

Alternatively, kayak along Loch Loyne and approach from the east. Oh to be young and mobile ...

In reply to ScraggyGoat:

I've often looked at the north side ridges and wondered, but it's a long way in from any point, as you say. Sure I'll get there eventually. They do sound good.

I'm not sure it's fair to dismiss the south side as just for tickers though. That stalker's path ascent is a real highlight, the view up the loch is fantastic, and it's a quick way to the summit ridges where the topography does get interesting.

Besides which not even the south side is exactly convenience bagging is it? The car park is quite a long way from anywhere.

Mike-W-99 29 Oct 2021

We’ve done them from the north in conjunction with an overnight camp and the south sheil ridge. Great trip, I would be happy to do an article on it if you wish.

In reply to Mike-W-99:

Sounds like a cracking round Mike. Yes, do give me a shout if you fancy writing it up

Mike-W-99 29 Oct 2021

Will do, it covers some interesting ground.

Sean Kelly 29 Oct 2021

Did this so long ago, 30 yrs? I can't remember much about it except if was a fine day with thudding clouds interspersed with sun. Quite cold and nobody else encountered during a steepish up and down ascent.

ScraggyGoat 29 Oct 2021
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

Mountain bike or walk from the Clunie Inn, dump the bike near where you start the South Shiel ridge, follow the start of the stalkers path up the South Shiel before breaking left son another stalkers path that takes you over the shoulder and down into the glen.

Post edited at 17:43
 ScraggyGoat 29 Oct 2021
In reply to Mike-W-99:

Funnily enough I was doing that two weekends ago, only the weather didn’t make day two anything special.

Lankyman 29 Oct 2021
In reply to Mike-W-99:

> We’ve done them from the north in conjunction with an overnight camp and the south sheil ridge. Great trip, I would be happy to do an article on it if you wish.

That sounds similar to something me and the ex did. Camped in a corrie on the north side of the glen (soggy ground!) then traversed some of the South Shiel peaks heading west to descend and camp fairly close to Alltbeithe. Next day we did Sgurr a Mhaoraich in clag from the camp. Next day back east up the same glen as earlier and picked one of those nice looking northern ridges. It was quite exciting with a bit of sleet on. Traversed the two Munros of the article and down another nice ridge back north to our camp. Packed up and out to the car. It'd kill me now ...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...