Trad Harness recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andysomething 26 Aug 2021

I need to replace my aging Petzl Harness, which I've been putting off because it works so well for me.  I'm looking for one with a relatively large drop, ie distance between the waist and the first tie in loop, which suits my preference for a high waisted fit.  Not looking for anything really lightweight, fit and comfort is priority.  any opinions welcome.  Cheers.  Andy

In reply to Andysomething:

I might be biased but I recommend a Wild Country Session or a WC Synchro.

Steve Claw 26 Aug 2021

I have a DMM Renegade, and I'm happy with it.

PaulJepson 26 Aug 2021

I'd really recommend trying before buying. I had a Petzl Corax that I loved so got the Petzl Adjama based on good comfort reviews. The gear loops sit so far back that it's really quite rubbish for trad. I can basically only use it for sport with draws on the front loops. 

Mark Haward 26 Aug 2021

As Paul says, try several out in a shop. The fit is so personal it is worth trying several harnesses on and asking if you can dangle in it from a roof fixing which many shops offer.

Graeme G 26 Aug 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

That’s worrying. I just bought an Adjama and loved the comfort. But once I got home I’m a bit worried the leg loops are a bit too loose. Hadn’t thought about the position of the gear loops being too far back.

I hate making bad purchases. Suppose I’ll just need to try it and see how I get on.

My shortlist is Arcteryx c-quence or BD solution guide. I've got an older arcteryx which is very comfortable but the gear loop on the left is a bit far back and it doesn't have a 5th for shoes, extra multipitch crap etc. I just can't find anywhere with stock to try on. 

OP Andysomething 26 Aug 2021

Thanks for these inputs - all appreciated.  I had an early Wild Country Syncro once could give the latest one a try, and the Arcteryx also.

PaulJepson 26 Aug 2021
In reply to Graeme G:

It could just be that I'm towards the top end of the sizing scale. I reckon if you have a bit more wiggle room then the fear loops will sit further forward.

It's a proper comfortable harness but it's my sport harness now. 

Graeme G 27 Aug 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

That makes sense. I’m the opposite, practically pulled the entire harness around my waist. So should hopefully be fine.

galpinos 27 Aug 2021

I have a Petzl Sitta. Love the comfort, weight, pack size and gear loops. Longevity is suspect and cost is a bit migraine inducing.

Becky E 27 Aug 2021

Try before you buy, including hanging in it, and don't be afraid to look at women's model if you need a longer rise (the length from waist to crotch).

OP Andysomething 28 Aug 2021
In reply to Becky E:

Yes good idea

climberchristy 29 Aug 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

> then the fear loops will sit further forward.

I love the idea of 'fear loops' for that bit of crucial kit that you really need in a hurry upon reaching the end of a huge run out. 

cragtyke 29 Aug 2021
In reply to climberchristy:

I may have dreamt this, but I'm sure someone brought out a harness a good few years ago with a little velcro gear loop for exactly that purpose.

Mark Kemball 29 Aug 2021
In reply to Steve Claw:

> I have a DMM Renegade, and I'm happy with it.

+1 for this. I’m on my second very happy with it.

TobyA 30 Aug 2021
In reply to Mark Kemball:

I've been using my old Renegade a bit recently after mainly using various Edelrid harnesses for the last few years - and noticed today the drop is much more on the DMM than on any of the Edelrid ones - basically the belay loop is just significantly bigger in circumference than Edelrid use. They aren't particularly light by modern standards, but as the OP said he wants a decent drop, it may well be worth looking at. 7 racks is definitely nice when racking loads of trad gear.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...