A new source of carbon to worry about

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bob Kemp 19 Mar 2021

According to a new study , bottom trawling releases as much carbon as air travel:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/mar/17/trawling-for-fish-relea...

(Edited to fix link copy-paste error)

Post edited at 14:31
 mutt 19 Mar 2021
In reply to Bob Kemp:

more than just carbon, ecocide. With apparently 60% of fish sold being miss-identified I think its entirely likely that protected, threatened fish are being sold as sustainable stocks. Bottom trawling for fish is absolutely destroying the habitat of vast numbers of other species we don't eat.

So, if you thought you could eat sustainable fish - well there isn't any because of the by catch, the miss-labelling and the carnage of bottom trawling. Divert your money to Greenpeace who are busy dropping boulders into marine parks to stop the illegal bottom trawling.

Rob Exile Ward 19 Mar 2021
In reply to mutt:

It does seem to be a vile business; I was quite taken with the Greenpeace action (and the responsible way they were doing it, publishing the locations of the boulders and so on.) 

Removed User 19 Mar 2021
In reply to Bob Kemp:

Carbon dioxide, not carbon. It trawl nets disturbed coal deposits it wouldn't affect global warming .

I suspect though that the biggest impact trawling has is on fish stocks. Certainly where I grew up in Ayr my mother recalled seeing seals in the bay when she was on holiday there in the 40s. Since then there has been a lot of trawling for clams, the most destructive of fishing methods which leave the sea bed like a ploughed field destroying all the plant life there. 

You won't see a seal in Ayr bay now.

Post edited at 15:02
 Timmd 19 Mar 2021
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> It does seem to be a vile business; I was quite taken with the Greenpeace action (and the responsible way they were doing it, publishing the locations of the boulders and so on.) 

Yes, there's no way in which it can't be seen as the destruction of the ocean floor habitat/ecosystem.

Money doesn't talk, it swears...

mutt 19 Mar 2021
In reply to Removed User:

> You won't see a seal in Ayr bay now.

Bottom trawling in Southampton Water was stopped a few years ago. There is now at least one seal in one of the busiest stretches of water.  It surfaced next to my paddle board last year. lets hope for more.

Post edited at 15:09
OP Bob Kemp 19 Mar 2021

I’m aware of the difference between carbon and carbon dioxide. I followed the article headline and common usage. 

Jim Lancs 19 Mar 2021
In reply to Bob Kemp:

The problems of scallop fishing was explained to me by drawing parallels with gathering mushrooms.

Sustainable scallop divers are like mushroom gatherers walking through the woods gathering only the mature fungi and leaving no sign of their passing except perhaps a footprint in the early morning dew.

Commercial scallop fishing (by bottom trawling) is like turning up at the woods with a huge bulldozer. To gather the few mushrooms you smash all the trees down and scrape every growing thing into huge heaps, from which you pick your basket of mushrooms before moving on and bulldozing the next wood. 

How many people would eat mushrooms if that sort of destruction was left visible across the landscape for all to see? Why do we tolerate it just because you can't see it on the bottom of the sea?

Toerag 19 Mar 2021
In reply to Jim Lancs:

The other problem is that fishing is addictive, which means fishermen keep going well beyond the point that any other business owner would give up. When rules make the business unsustainable they'll break them instead of giving up.

OP Bob Kemp 19 Mar 2021

Re effects on fish stocks, I wouldn’t like to hazard a guess as to which effect of bottom trawling is worse. It’s clear the contribution to global warming will also have an effect on fish stocks by altering the ocean environment significantly. 

OP Bob Kemp 19 Mar 2021
In reply to Jim Lancs:

That’s a great parallel. As for your last question, I think you answered it yourself- it’s a classic case of ‘out of sight, out of mind’.

mutt 19 Mar 2021
In reply to Bob Kemp:

> it’s a classic case of ‘out of sight, out of mind’.

And who amoungst us. who are willing to condemn bottom trawling eat sole, flounder, cod, squid, shellfish?

Timmd 19 Mar 2021
In reply to mutt:

It's a while ago now, but in 2013/2014 some research I did for a diploma found there's a system in place to stop cod from being fished unsustainably now (I guess whether it's adhered to could be a different matter)

Edit: I stand corrected. It isn't sustainable currently. 

https://www.sustainweb.org/news/oct19_mcsratings/

[[[ According to the latest advice, five of the most sustainable seafood species caught or farmed in the UK are:

Oysters, mussels and king prawns (UK-farmed): Some real delicacies are on our doorstep, and UK farmed shellfish is tasty and sustainable!

Atlantic halibut (UK-farmed): only look for farmed halibut from the UK as this species is endangered in the wild

Herring (Irish Sea – North): this population is in a good state, and fishing pressure is well within sustainable levels. Herring from the North Sea is also a good choice

Plaice (UK caught from the North Sea): populations here are increasing – a great sustainable choice

European Hake (UK caught): following low stock levels in 2006 and new measures being put in place, hake populations have bounced back and been consistently high over the last 10 years …a true success story!

Five of the least sustainable seafood species caught in the UK:

UK Cod: Look for cod from the North East Arctic or Iceland instead

European eel: This is a Critically Endangered species due to overfishing, habitat alteration and pollution. Whether farmed or wild caught, there are currently no sustainable options for this species ·

Wild Atlantic salmon: There are no rivers in England or Wales where salmon stocks are meeting conservation targets and only 28% of rivers in Scotland are doing so. Only consider salmon from Grade 1 rivers in Scotland or look for UK organic farmed salmon

Whiting caught from the west of the UK: All of these populations are below safe levels, meaning that their ability to reproduce is impaired. Whiting in the North Sea is doing a bit better, but even there it's being subject to slight overfishing

Wild Atlantic halibut: This amazing but endangered species is highly vulnerable to the impacts of fishing, avoid wild Atlantic halibut caught anywhere around the UK. MCS works closely with regulators, the fishing and aquaculture industry, retailers and the seafood supply chain to ensure the longevity of seafood stocks and the industries themselves.]]]

Post edited at 17:52
Removed User 19 Mar 2021
In reply to Bob Kemp:

> I’m aware of the difference between carbon and carbon dioxide. I followed the article headline and common usage. 

No doubt, the unnecessary imprecision just irks me.

Removed User 19 Mar 2021
In reply to Timmd:

No doubt that we will not drive those species to extinction but there is also no doubt that many parts of our seabed have been turned into wastelands.

nufkin 19 Mar 2021
In reply to Jim Lancs:

>  Why do we tolerate it just because you can't see it on the bottom of the sea?

I suspect you answered your own question there

Jim Fraser 19 Mar 2021
In reply to Bob Kemp:

Sources of Carbon may not be the only big issue. What are as likely to be serious problems are reduction of new carbon sinks (cutting down trees, particularly in tropical regions not affected by routine seasonal defoliation) and agricultural N20 emission (298 time effect of CO2) that increases greatly as highly mechanised agriculture spreads across the world. 

Tom Valentine 19 Mar 2021
In reply to Timmd:

Not surprised that the herring stocks are healthy. Who can tackle one of these on a plate ?(unless its been kippered).

We had plenty of Spring and Port Wine  altercations in our house, onl;y resolved by the advice to " Get plenty o' bread down wi' it, you'll not notice t'bones"

Even as a kipper you have to know what you're doing.

Timmd 19 Mar 2021

> No doubt, the unnecessary imprecision just irks me.

People calling Ecclesall road in Sheffield 'Eccy road' somewhat irks me, I reached a point of 'argh' at seeing shops called things like 'Eccy Road Booze' 

Post edited at 19:16
 mutt 19 Mar 2021
In reply to Timmd:

that's great but did you missed my point about 60% of fish being miss-labeled so when you are advertised Grade 1 scottish salmon how can you have any confidence that is what you are getting. In fact the DNA analysis showed that its the expensive fish that are mislabeled. So in your example the really is absolutely bugger all chance that your Grade 1 salmon is Grade 1 salmon. Its in the category of fish that is fraudulently labelled as grade 1 because it attracts a higher price.

I would attach a reference but I seem to not have the power to attack urls any more. However please search it up. You will hopefully see what I saw. That Sustainability is in the eye of the marketing manager. Every fish that is extracted from he sea is marketed at its most profitable label. what you think you are getting is sustainable salmon, but what you are actually getting is whatever salmon  the fisherman can get is hands on (or other species). I'm not making any points here about Scottish fishermen. Its the DNA that I'm addressing

But please don't respond to me. I don't expect that my words will carry much weight. Just seek out the research and decide for yourself

OP Bob Kemp 19 Mar 2021

I noticed the original article used both. The Guardian style guide doesn’t have an entry for carbon/CO2, which probably explains that. 

OP Bob Kemp 19 Mar 2021
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> Get plenty o' bread down wi' it, you'll not notice t'bones"

Sounds familiar but we were encouraged to drink large amounts of tea as well. 

Timmd 20 Mar 2021
In reply to mutt:

That's very interesting to know. So 'cod knows' what the fish actually is.

Toerag 22 Mar 2021
In reply to mutt:

> And who amoungst us. who are willing to condemn bottom trawling eat sole, flounder, cod, squid, shellfish?

Squid are midwater feeders generally. Also, who on earth eats flounder in the UK?

mutt 23 Mar 2021
In reply to Toerag:

> Also, who on earth eats flounder in the UK?

who knows. 60% of fish is mislabeled. 

Lankyman 23 Mar 2021
In reply to Bob Kemp:

When I eat broccoli I seem to vent huge volumes of methane. Should I stop and save the planet?

OP Bob Kemp 23 Mar 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Just buy a cork.

Tom Valentine 23 Mar 2021
In reply to Timmd:

> People calling Ecclesall road in Sheffield 'Eccy road' somewhat irks me, 

Good job you don't live in Donny, Ponty or Wakey, then...     

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...