Polartec alpha

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ste_d 18 Dec 2020

Seasonal greeting's

I must have somehow missed polartec alpha when it was first launched or dismissed it as a new marketing concept

Anyway I've just 'rediscovered' it since it's hard to get hold of shelled micropile these days, ie driclime or previous version vapour rise

So reading around it looks like when alpha was originally launched it came with a face and backing fabric, usually some kind of pertex variety

Since then we have alpha direct, correct me if wrong, which removed the backing lining fabric

I've got hold of a marmot alpha 60 which has the lining fabric removed and seems to function much like a vapour rise or driclime, it wicks and dries really fast and with all shelled micropile I can see being really useful

But I've also come across the Montane halogen alpha which keeps the lining pertex type fabric, question is how is this type of alpha actually supposed to function in practice? The lining seems to block access to the skin for the alpha and it's ability to wick seems seriously diminished... Does anyone know of any brand still using this version of alpha or has everyone moved to the direct version?

mik82 18 Dec 2020
In reply to ste_d:

I've got a Rab Strata jacket which has a backing pertex inner and it's very breathable - I don't wear it next to the skin though so no idea on the wicking abilities.  It's more of an outer layer really.  I wear it all the time, along with an Alpha Flux as a mid which I also love. I thought the idea of the stuff was that it was warm and breathable. Certainly I've found that combining a base layer, the Alpha Flux and the Strata during the winter works well all day and I don't have to stop to keep putting clothing on or off due to getting too hot/cold.

Post edited at 22:21
 daftdazza 18 Dec 2020
In reply to ste_d:

I have the Montane Halogen, and definitely best jacket I own, it runs warmer than marmot driclime, which is good for a lot off winter activities but also breathes very well.

It's a great jacket for Scottish winter mountain bike, stay warm in damp windy conditions, good for hill running at minute with just t shirt underneath.  And also good outer layer for ski touring etc.  For skiing touring I will use it on its own when moving fast, and just layer it with neoshell jacket on top when getting to summits or exposed to strong wind.

SFM 19 Dec 2020
In reply to ste_d:

I’ve been a slow mover towards Polartech Alpha but deliberately so as I was unconvinced that it was better than the alternatives. I’m also a massive fan of Driclime. The alpha direct version is really good! Initially I bought a cycling gilet for colder days. Normally when I wear warmer layers I boil up on ascents but I hate cycling cold so I’d just tolerate being over warm. So far with the gilet been impressed at the fabrics ability to regulate heat/moisture build up. I’ve now also got a Mammut Aenergy hoody which have been mostly using under a shell and worked well for the limited time I’ve had it. 
I reckon alpha direct stuff sits between Driclime/VR and thicker stuff like Buffalo but the best thing I’ve found so far is that I don’t ever seem to get too hot in it.

HeMa 19 Dec 2020
In reply to ste_d:

For the record, you can still get all flavours of Alpha. Front and back lined, front lined and unlined. I prefer the last as I can easily slap on a pertex shell If. Or proper hard shell. Or soft shell. And it’s also comfy warm on its own. Mine was from Norrona, but other option exist as well. 

Oh, and there are Atleast two similar other products on the market. One was mentioned just this or last week here. The other is Patagucci Nano Air. 

OP ste_d 19 Dec 2020
In reply to HeMa:

Doh I forgot to mention no lining at all aka the fleece option, though no doubt a very high performance fleece

Re nano air, the construction of alpha looks different to me, I have both, and I'm thinking alpha especially unlined would wick better

Both of course would have their place, conditions and activity determining 🤔

antony_2009 19 Dec 2020
In reply to ste_d:

I feel your pain, I love my Driclime hoody and fear the day I need to retire it. It’s very rare that I spend a day in the hills without it. 

I have begun to use some of the Buffalo Teclite gear which functions almost as well and might be worth a look. I just wish Buffalo gear was slightly more technical sometimes. 

Prof. Outdoors 19 Dec 2020
In reply to antony_2009:

Intrigued by this.  When you say more technical, do you mean in the cut or wish it had more features?

antony_2009 19 Dec 2020
In reply to Prof. Outdoors:

> Intrigued by this.  When you say more technical, do you mean in the cut or wish it had more features?

I’ll caveat my comments by acknowledging the beauty of Buffalo gear is in its simplicity. 

I suppose a bit of both. For example, I’m currently using a pair of teclite trousers. They bring all the benefits of Driclime when worn next to the skin but if I was remotely competent with a sewing machine I could make them amazing.

The fit is ok but quite simplistic. I wish they had a few additional features; I’ve not kicked any holes in them yet but crampon patches would be a nice addition. An option for venting would be good when slogging uphill. My preference would probably be for a zip fly. I would also prefer for the hip pockets to be zip closed. On the Driclime hoody, the lining in the sleeves stops mid forearm which keeps the lining from protruding from the sleeve. This attention of detail on the teclite trousers would just elevate them to the next level. I appreciate the teclite trousers are £100 so they aren’t going to have the same features as a £200 pair of Mountain Equipment G2 mountain pants. 

The teclite system is a great concept, if Buffalo were willing to customize their gear (I.e. PHD) then I would definitely pay for that. I’m currently using the teclite trousers layered under a pair of Arcteryx Alpha Comp  (soft shell/hard shell mix) which combines the benefits of both and makes them perfect for any weather. 

Dr.S at work 19 Dec 2020
In reply to antony_2009:

> The teclite system is a great concept, if Buffalo were willing to customize their gear (I.e. PHD) then I would definitely pay for that. I’m currently using the teclite trousers layered under a pair of Arcteryx Alpha Comp  (soft shell/hard shell mix) which combines the benefits of both and makes them perfect for any weather. 

Give them a ring - they make stuff in Sheffield and can do some degree of customisation

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/advice/faqs/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...