Ideas for part time work at the drop of a hat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RM199 07 Dec 2020

Hi all

After a little advice from the UKC hive mind.

I have quite a fluid job which often results with a random week off at the last minute. Often I use this time quite sensibly to go climbing , but in winter this is often impossible, and a bit more money would always be useful

I'm after ideas for work of some sort that can picked up at the drop of a hat, when/ if work gets cancelled last minute.

As a bit of background I'm Sheffield based, have a full driving liscense, reasonably computer literate, and capable of physical work as needed. (I normally work in Roped access as a structural examiner but also have an environmental degree)

Also I work away too much, so I'd be after something local

Any ideas welcome

freeflyer 07 Dec 2020
In reply to RM199:

My brother used to do Uber driving for this reason, before the pandemic mind you.

Max Hangs 07 Dec 2020
In reply to freeflyer:

Perhaps even easier (no car needed)...I'm sure Amazon do something similar now. Clock in and out when you like.

Edit: realistically I guess you'd still need a car, but not a new one. Amazon flex?

Post edited at 17:23
OP RM199 07 Dec 2020
In reply to freeflyer:

yeah i wondered about that but you need a full private hire licence for that now

might be worth it though? Anyone tried it?

cb294 07 Dec 2020
In reply to RM199:

Lion tamer, but do not drop the requisite hat.

CB

edit: Sorry, could not resist! I hope you find something suitable!

Post edited at 17:29
 will_mcmahon 07 Dec 2020
In reply to RM199:

Try working at the COVID testing centres with a recruitment agency, I have been working with them since summer and it is very flexible and good hours. 'Arc recruitment' are who I have been working with, I think there are others out there as well. 

In reply to RM199:

As mentioned...

I know Bradford City Council are desperate for Covid Workers...going from door to door,over £10 an hr.

Not quite local I know,but someone comes from Worksop to do the job.

Message me if you want a contact.

Dax H 07 Dec 2020
In reply to RM199:

Deliveroo, I guy I used to know used to log in and out whenever he felt like it. 

OP RM199 08 Dec 2020
In reply to RM199:

Thanks for the ideas guys

More welcome

Philip 08 Dec 2020
In reply to RM199:

Chimney sweep.

phizz4 08 Dec 2020
In reply to RM199:

Mobile car washer. Most drive through car washes are closed.

SAF 08 Dec 2020
In reply to RM199:

Do you have C1 and D1 on your driver's license? A lot of patient transport ambulance work is now carried out by private ambulance services, St John's and red cross. This is likely to be bank work where you can pick and choose your hours.

Trangia 08 Dec 2020
In reply to RM199:

Sign up to an Opinion Poll Company like Ipsos Mori to do interviews/surveys? They usually require you to do a two day training course, then will send you work which you can take or leave as you want. The pay work is target based, and is likely to involve both day and evening work when people are a home, but if you are good you can make quite good money.

Neil Williams 08 Dec 2020
In reply to Dax H:

> Deliveroo, I guy I used to know used to log in and out whenever he felt like it.

That also has the option of doing it on a pushbike, then there's no car insurance complexity (and you get exercise built into the job).

henwardian 08 Dec 2020
In reply to RM199:

Qualify as a teacher. Your degree probably means you can do it in a year but you would need to find out what subject it would be (maybe a science, depends on what your degree was composed of I think).

When you are on the supply list as a teacher, you could literally have someone text you at 8.20am asking if you can be in school for 8.45am, or you might get notice the day before or the week before. You can be on the list for all the schools in your region and just take days whenever you want them, it is 100% flexible and if you get a reputation as being competent and reliable there should always be work to be had. I'm speaking from the Scottish POV here, I don't know how the system works in rUK.

wercat 09 Dec 2020
In reply to RM199:

I've had a call from someone called Philip who lives somewhere called Ambridge(?) says he has an opening with good prospects for a job called being a "horse" ...

NorthernGrit 09 Dec 2020
In reply to RM199:

Get a basic food hygiene certificate and see if there are any agencies for food factories in the area. Did that a lot years ago. Could call up in the morning and be on an afternoon shift.

Pay is terrible though.

PaulJepson 09 Dec 2020
In reply to RM199:

I think you can make a decent wage on Deliveroo, especially if the weather is shite and no one else is picking up orders. 

Alkis 09 Dec 2020
In reply to wercat:

I wonder how many people here will admit to actually knowing what you are on about.

nufkin 09 Dec 2020
In reply to Alkis:

The Borsetshire equivalent of a drugs mule?

Alkis 09 Dec 2020
In reply to nufkin:

Actually no, although that would be a pretty good guess if the storylines weren't quite this crazy! :-P

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...