urgent - record and save a PP lecture on a mac!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Heike 04 Oct 2020

Hi, UKC people, how can I narrate and save a powerpoint lecture on the MAc? Done it quite a few times, the issue is it can't be replayed, i.e it wasn't saved. It just doesn't work. Any suggestions??? Where have I gone wrong? Is my Mac too old? Any help massively appreciated . Heikex

wintertree 04 Oct 2020
In reply to Heike:

I have done this using QuickTime Player.  Comes built in with MacOs.    This is what I do...

• Open QuickTime Player, 
  • Clear your screen (lots of manic pressing of Command-H till no windows are left)
  • Set PowertPoint up full screen presentation view
  • In QuickTime Player, go to "File > New Screen Recording" in the menus 
  • Select "New screen recording"
    • First time after doing this you may need to go to System Preferences, Security & Privacy to give QT permission to do this
  • Draw a box around what you want to record, or go full screen
  • Go to PowerPoint and talk, using the arrow keys to move through slides 
  • Talk and press keys!
  • Click the "Stop" button in the top menu bar to finish the recording

I massively recommend having a go first with a few slides to get the workflow right before committing a lot of time to doing it.

StefanB 04 Oct 2020
In reply to Heike:

The built-in PowerPoint feature to record does not seem to work very well on a Mac. I have seen all sorts of weird behaviour, but just not saving it is one of things that has happened.

The workaround with QuickTIme mentioned works quite well. For extra comfort, I eventually invested in a commercial screen recording software.

Derek Jamieson 04 Oct 2020
In reply to Heike:

Open your powerpoint in Keynote, go to the 'play' dropdown menu and click 'record'. When done go to 'export' and export the movie. this can then be uploaded to MSstreams or wherever.

Derek

In reply to Heike:

CMD + shift + 5 is another option. It takes you to a screen recording feature built into MacOs. Records it as a video for you. Can set options like having it show a ring around the cursor when you click something.

rockcatch 04 Oct 2020
In reply to Heike:

It could be worth trying https://obsproject.com 

I used this to present a quiz with a PowerPoint and narration. I did it as streaming rather than recording, but it looks like it does recording too.

ianstevens 04 Oct 2020
In reply to StefanB:

Other option is to go on a zoom call with only you participating, present it like a synchronous lecture and record it. Then the file can be shared easily. 

SouthernSteve 04 Oct 2020
In reply to Heike:

You should be able to do this on most current versions of powerpoint. What version of PPTX have you got and have you got any room on your MAC's HD

1. Make your presentation

2. Go to the slide Show tab

3. Press record

4. Narrate your slides

5. Save as powerpoint or QuickTime movie depending on the final output needs.

We do this a fair amount and there should be no problem. It is much more clunky than ECHO, Stream Capture or Canvas, but it works OK.

In reply to Heike:

Remember that you have to EXPLICITLY give powerpoint access to your microphone in the security settings nowadays

In reply to Heike:

The other way to do it which might suit you better is to record in TEAMS - a meeting by yourself with your screen shared and no audience. Will be more spontaneous as much more difficult to edit. However they often come over as less staid and more like the real thing.

HTH

SouthernSteve 06 Oct 2020
In reply to Heike:

Did you ever get sorted. I was concerned you were having a very horrible day with a tight deadline!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...