Kiss the Ground - carbon drawdown on Netflix

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 druss 28 Sep 2020

Kiss the Ground (Netflix) turned out to be a pretty good documentary centred on soil (not dirt) and the potential for carbon draw down.  This tackles the approach of taking carbon out of the atmosphere, which green energy doesn't address, whilst improving land and food security - natural food security - not the highly processed stuff coming out of labs, GMO or mono-cropping operations.

Trailer on YouTube - youtube.com/watch?v=K3-V1j-zMZw&

LeeWood 03 Oct 2020
In reply to druss:

We watched this - some impressive and persuasive evidence. The message in a nutshell:  Working the soil - ploughing etc - (and thus denuding the surface), along with use of chemicals - is responsible for increased erosion, death of micro-organisms, and release of CO2. Otherwise the maintaining of pasture/prairie for cattle-livestock with long feed-lot rotations. 

The alternative methods, correctly implemented, would cut out agro-chemicals, avoid use of amazon felled soybean culture, and eliminate intensive meat production. With further benefits from more humane treatment of animals. It's not clear whether such systems could support current levels of meat consumption.

Further benefits from the sequestering of CO2. Organic matter trapped and recycled in the soil can hold impressive volumes of CO2. Think prairies, not just your back garden. The use of glyphosate seems to be especially detrimental.

rockwing 05 Oct 2020
In reply to druss:

Thanks for sharing. I studied a bit of desertification and soil degradation at university and it is massively under-rated as a threat to the future of the planet and to humans.

guffers_hump 05 Oct 2020
In reply to druss:

When I am talking about the environment with my friends I always mention not using chemicals and monoculture farming. People just don't understand. The use of chemicals on farms in the UK is destroying river life around the country. Will defo be watching this. 

OP druss 05 Oct 2020
In reply to druss:

It feels like the missing piece to the climate change and sustainability circle.  Also, doesn't centre around buying some new technology, solution or product.  The benefits are distributed to humanity rather than patent holders.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...