Boiler/Gas Safe advice needed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

A family member is selling their house, however it seems as though the engineer that installed the boiler 14 years ago may not have CORGI registered it at the time as there is no certificate. I will check with Gas Safe in case we are mistaken but if not - can we just get a Gas Safe inspection and is that equivalent? Or do we need to get Building Regs involved?

Thanks all!

tjdodd 31 Aug 2020
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Sold my house relatively recently and I'm pretty sure I had no evidence the boiler was CORGI registered (the boiler had been installed by a previous owner).  I did get a gas safety inspection/boiler service and provided evidence of that to potential buyers just to ensure things went as smoothly as possible.  I definitely didn't get building regs involved (I am not sure building regs are relevant for boilers but I'm no expert).

I can't imagine many people would have kept evidence from a boiler installed 14 years ago.  If the buyer has any concerns they will just get a new boiler as 14 years is pretty old in any case.

In reply to tjdodd:

I don't know if we're legally required to have it, the problem is the conveyancers are asking for the certificate so it looks a bit dodgy if we say we haven't got it :/ 

Things get lost very easily. If you haven't got it, you haven't got it. I don't see it in any way 'dodgy'. Its 14 years ago, so probably needs inspecting, anyway...

If they're that concerned, they can ask for an inspection and a safety certificate.

Chris Ebbutt 31 Aug 2020

If the boiler was 15 years old it wouldn’t have required building control. From memory part L changed on 2005 which meant registration of new boiler installations.

Prior to that gas work had to be carried out by Corgi registered engineers but there was no requirement to register installs except maybe to comply with some manufacturers warranty requirements.

Chris

Snyggapa 01 Sep 2020

short and honest is the best answer. "certificate not available", don't embellish with speculation as to whether there ever was one or not. It won't look dodgy, I would  a low percentage of householders can produce paperwork on demand from 5 years ago never mind 15 and solicitors are absolutely used to it.

Has it recently been serviced? If so the service record would be useful to provide instead as my recollection is that with gas appliances, "last person that touched it owns it" from a compliance/safety point of view

In reply to Snyggapa:

If one was done it would be reorderable form CORGI/Gas Safe. I don't think we can just say we don't have it.

Sam W 01 Sep 2020

We had the same when we sold 2 years ago.  Installer hadn't registered it properly, so we didn't have a certificate.  Got a new engineer to come in and carry out a safety check, gave solicitor the paperwork, didn't hear anything back from the buyers.  Guess that some people may be picky and try to use it to kick up a fuss/knock you down a bit on price

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...