Small pots and pans to for lightweight wildcamp

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 guffers_hump 26 Aug 2020

Looking for a lightweight wild camping cooking set (pans) that will fit on a jet boil with the adaptor. So just small and lightweight.  Wanted to see what recommendations people had. Lots of reviews for stuff online but some are paid. I like to see the opinions of "unbiased" fellow UK gang.

Cheers

Post edited at 13:37
 Dark-Cloud 26 Aug 2020
In reply to guffers_hump:

I just use an MSR Ti Kettle, but then again i only boil water with a pocket rocket for dehydrated meals and brews.

Alpkit have an MSR Ti Kettle clone and a decent range of small Al and Ti pans

tjdodd 26 Aug 2020

I found the Alpkit titanium cookwear really good.  Used over multi-month trips and worked really well and robust.

OP guffers_hump 26 Aug 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Will take a look.

In reply to tjdodd:

Yes have seen that. Sadly out of stock atm .

I assume you mean the Mytistax?

Hopefully they get some more stock soon.

Also are they fully titanium or coated aluminium?

Post edited at 14:00
 tjdodd 26 Aug 2020

I think I got random Myti pieces (cannot remember exactly what I got).  I think they are fully titanium.  Very light and robust and seem to warm up pretty quickly (I think the main drawback of titanium is they are a bit slower to conduct heat).

I did some research at the time and they looked good and I like to support Alpkit.

Its also always worth looking at

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/kitchen-stuff-c8/pots-...

Lot of options and usually have their own honest reviews.  Very quick to send stuff out.

In reply to tjdodd:

ahh ye, the random bits are all still in stock. I'll take a look at that website.

Cheers

Jon Read 26 Aug 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> I just use an MSR Ti Kettle, but then again i only boil water with a pocket rocket for dehydrated meals and brews.

^^^ This. I decided a while ago that cooking in pans means you carry more weight and is ultimately muckier than using a dehydrated meal in a pouch and a kettle.

J101 26 Aug 2020

Another alpkit titanium user, been good for me, I have mytistax (tend to only take the smaller pan and lid) and a 600ml mug that I use for overnight trips.

Like all lightweight cookware it's great for boiling water and not so great for anything else.

Dark-Cloud 26 Aug 2020

If you are near an Alpkit shop they probably have them in stock but the MSR Ti Kettle is worth the money as it will last years.

In reply to J101:

ye thats what I'd use it for as cooking any real food is too much weight anyway

tehmarks 26 Aug 2020

Another vot for the Alpkit titanium mug. I have the 650ml one, and it's perfect for a single-pot minimalist approach. A small gas will fit inside along with a tiny stove (like the Alpkit Kraku) and some tea bags. Alas, I think they've discontinued the 650ml one, but if you can find someone else who makes a similar thing in that size, it's a good size.

J101 26 Aug 2020
In reply to tehmarks:

They make a 600ml now which is fine, when it's in stock

druridge 26 Aug 2020

If counting the gram's is important I use Alpkit mytimug to drink & cook. Heat dissipation is less good with titanium kit so to be honest most of the time its an aluminium pan (years old, the cheapest the shop had) with a bacofoil lid, food is less likely to burn / stick than with titanium. Important for me that the stove / gas bottle etc go inside    

EdS 26 Aug 2020

1l Al Mors Kochanski Bush pot - had it years. Used on stove, open fire etc....

As light is not lighter than Ti of the same size and heats up quicker, so less fuel needed.

J101 26 Aug 2020
In reply to J101:

Just had a look, it's still 650ml they make, and it's still out of stock (as per usual, too successful for its own good)

Takein 26 Aug 2020

I've had a few GSI bits over the years and really like them. I had a set called the Soloist which would be worth you looking at. My bigger cookware is all MSR and although expensive, really good quality and design.

TobyA 26 Aug 2020

I've got the little Alpkit ti pot (big mug size) and then the slightly bigger one (looks more like a diddy saucepan than a big mug!). They're both great. But if you are after just water boiling and the ability to pour that water carefully, the MSR Pika teapot I reviewed last year, along with the new fancy Pocket Rocket, is great. Not being ti it isn't particularly expensive but it is still impressively light. https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/camping/cooking/msr_pocketrocket_deluxe_and...

Lots to choose from. But you need to consider your needs carefully; 'proper cooking', or just heating stuff up. Tall and thin, or squat and wide? Latter is probably better for heat transfer, and 'proper cooking'.

The Alpkit stuff is good, as is the MSR kettle.

But Al pans are also good, and suffer less from hotspots than the thinner, poorly conducting Ti (conductivity of Al is 10x that of Ti, and the pans are usually thicker for the same weight). 

Gelert do some half decent hard anodised pans (Ascent series). The only downside is the riveted handles, which are potential dirt traps. They also do a Trangia Mini clone which has a couple of light, HA Al pans. They're cheap, and are badged generics, available from multiple sources (I got some from Blacks years ago, but they don't sell them any more).

Then there are the basic Trangia pans themselves, which a light, cheap and well made. They also do a HA version.

Removed User 27 Aug 2020

I use the MSR stuff but I mainly canoe trip now so weight and bulk are less of an issue. I actually carry in a Dutch Oven (albeit an aluminium one) and do most cooking over an open fire.

ben b 27 Aug 2020
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Tall and thin, or squat and wide?

You cheeky mare, that's just the corona kilos

For rapid water boils for 1-2 people then I have an Optimus Elektra FE system which is satisfyingly fierce. I haven't had any hairs on the back of my right index finger for some time now. But if the OP already has a Jetboil that's probably not much help. 

Back in the day for >10 day trips overseas I had an MSR X-GK II (a.k.a. "Saturn V") with heat exchanger, and although I understood the idea behind the heat ex I was never totally convinced that the weight helped overall - there's a lot of fuel on those MSR bottles to get through before the weight offset become sufficient. On the Elektra though it really does boil impressively fast. 

For the OP, it would be helpful if we knew if it was for solo use and what you wanted to cook? As above if heating water for pouch meals then much different to actually doing some cooking.

b

OP guffers_hump 27 Aug 2020
In reply to ben b:

I am on the lazy side, so will probably use all things I can heat up in water. Saves me carrying oil around. I've thought about taking eggs for the morning but making and carrying eggs is effort and is a fiddle to clean. Also will be myself and a couple others and sometimes solo.

In reply to tehmarks:

> Another vot for the Alpkit titanium mug. I have the 650ml one, and it's perfect for a single-pot minimalist approach. A small gas will fit inside along with a tiny stove (like the Alpkit Kraku) and some tea bags. Alas, I think they've discontinued the 650ml one, but if you can find someone else who makes a similar thing in that size, it's a good size.

I have just ordered a 650ml Toaks titanium pot, which appears to be the same as the Apkit ones, just with a different label on. Some outdoors shops and various sellers on Amazon have them, so worth a look if anyone is after something like the Alpkit one. 

I haven't received it yet so can't comment on quality.

OP guffers_hump 29 Aug 2020

Went into alpkit in Hathersidge, manage to get the MyTistacks for £40 as it was the last display ones.

Fozzy 29 Aug 2020

I use an Alpkit MyTi pot for solo cooking, and it works a treat on a Pocket Rocket. Just big enough to fit gas & stand inside of too. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...