Staying in YHA hostel atm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Has anyone stayed in a YHA hostel under the current restrictions? I was thinking of taking my daughter away for a much needed break but am not sure what to expect (bar closed, lounge closed, kitchen closed, 'limited' takeaway food available)

Shortshorts 14 Aug 2020
In reply to Vanessa Simmons:

Depends on the hostel i imagine, but the gist of it seems to be communal spaces are all closed/off limits, bottle bar and maybe take away pints, limited menu of pizzas, burgers etc.

Kalna_kaza 14 Aug 2020

I stayed in a SYHA last week, private rooms only. No self catering kitchen, lounge or other communal areas. So long as you don't mind eating out it's not a problem. Rooms without ensuite were allocated a specific bathroom which I think it's dramatically reducing some hostel's capacity depending on whether they have individual toilets & showers or the more old school "toilet block". 

r0b 14 Aug 2020

YHA Borrowdale three weeks ago. Camping only. Pre-booking of 15 minute slots for showers to prevent queues. Bar/lounge/kitchen closed. Breakfast and dinner could be pre-ordered for take-away.

RX-78 14 Aug 2020

Stayed at YHA South downs. Kitchen doing take away meals. We had our camping cooking equipment as well. Stayed in a pod thingy, with a shared outside loo for use, which was cleaned regularly and after any showers. 

Not sure what it would be like in winter with no communal spaces to use, including the kitchen.

Blue Straggler 14 Aug 2020

In the UKC tradition of completely ignoring your mention of YHA, might you be better off going to an independent countryside B&B type of place?

I have family coming to visit soon but as they are from Greater Manchester, they can't even come into my house (in any case there's 4 of them so they were looking to stay at a Travelodge or similar anyway). I decided last night to try and find something nicer, and chanced upon a lovely looking countryside B&B which will provide them a family room, with kettle inside and a microwave on a corridor for guests to share (it only has three rooms). 
Something like that but just a twin room for you two maybe? Unless there is a specific reason you want YHA in which case just ignore this post  

Marmoteer 14 Aug 2020

We had a family trip to Whitby YHA.

En-suite or private bathrooms only, all communal areas were closed but they were doing pre-ordered food.

The requirements on leaving was to strip beds yourself, open curtains and windows.

Hygiene seemed good with hand sanitiser in key locations.

CLYoung 14 Aug 2020

I stayed with my eldest in a private room at YHA Okehampton last week. One thing to beware of, whatever it says on the individual hostel page latest check in is now 8pm. Getting a call at 7.53pm asking where we were when the answer was "Just coming off the top of High Willhays" was not great!

Our room was a reasonably large 2 bunk room with ensuite. We arrived late and sat in our room eating the packed tea we couldn't eat earlier because we were legging it off the tor. Next morning we had the cooked breakfast, which was served in the dining room but you had to book in the night before with a specific time so there were never so many people there at once that you couldn't socially distance.

wercat 15 Aug 2020
In reply to Marmoteer:

Boggle Hole next?

(I liked the Whitby Hostel)

Thanks everyone for the replies, it's given me a better idea of what to expect. I'm just waiting for her to confirm she's got time off work then I'll book it (hopefully there will still be availability by then).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...