Fjällräven Abisko 1 Lite tent review

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stayfreejc 11 Jul 2020

I thought I would post a review of the Fjällräven Abisko 1 Lite as there are not many reviews of this tent around. I was Looking for a relatively light 4 season tent to replace my Wild Country Zephyros 1. I had decided that I wouldn’t let finances dictate the tent I bought as had made the decision to buy one decent tent and keep it for many, many years. I narrowed my choice down to the Hilleberg Akto, the Terra nova Southern Cross one and the Fjallraven. First off, I was drawn to the Terra nova as it is free standing but decided against it due to the interior dimensions being the same as my Zephyros and I always found that a bit tight. I very nearly purchased the Hilleberg. Literally the only thing that stopped me was the fact that the inner door has hardly any mesh and I wanted a tent I could use all year round. I hate hot tents in the summer. This left me with the Fjallraven. It shares a lot of similarities with the Akto, but in my opinion improves on some of the design flaws. The initial weigh in came in at over 1.8kg! But upon opening the sack, there is a spare pole section, seam sealant and a repair kit. Once these were removed it weighed in at just over 1.6kg which is pretty good for a 4 season tent. The packed size is worth a mention. Due to the short pole length, the pack size is very small. Interestingly enough, the poles are strapped to the outside of the sack which is a nice feature. The 4 corner poles are external to the tent which is also a bonus as they can very easily be removed meaning the tent can be packed down even tighter. The inner door can be fully closed or unzipped to become a full mesh door for when it’s hot. This is a brilliant feature as allows it to be used all year round. The interior is very comfortable for a solo tent. Plenty of storage and a big vestibule make for a very accommodating tent. There is also noticeably more room than in the Zephyros. I haven’t camped in any extreme weather yet but have had it in 30 mph plus winds. Due to the single hoop design, it was noisy, but it was stable and I can imagine it could handle much, much harsher weather. The fly sheet is also low to the ground which is in keeping with its 4 season rating. The overall fabric quantity is excellent as you would expect from Fjällräven. I cannot make a direct comparison with an Akto, but from the tons of research and videos I have watched, this tent seems to share many of the good points of the Akto whilst fixing the negatives. Only time will will tell with how durable it will be, but first impressions are very good and I am very happy with the tent. I plan to take it out in some pretty bad conditions over winter so it will be tested. Anyway, that’s my opinion on the tent so far. Hopefully it will be of some use to some one. 

Post edited at 22:09

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...