Hi wanting to set up rope swing need advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Leam96climb 26 Apr 2020

Hi we found a bridge to set up the rope for the swing just we have 1 problem the bridge where we would set up has sharp edge shall I use a carpet and some slings or should we put a chain round it and clip to that btw it is all set up under the bridge we found a nice one with a nice spot to jump just looking for some other ways of setting it up also after the swing how would you lower down any help would be great 

Luke90 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Leam96climb:

> the bridge where we would set up has sharp edge

> also after the swing how would you lower down

Sounds like your first problem might solve your second.

summo 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Leam96climb:

Rig like a releasable abseil so you have enough spare rope for another person to lower you. 

IMPORTANT BIT; if you are asking questions like this, don't jump off any bridges as your technical rope skills may not be upto the task. You'll only get it wrong once.

Dog Dave 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Leam96climb:

Please don’t at the moment. We have to rescue multiple people every year who are injured on rope swings. Even though You might be fine but who will copy you if it looks like fun.

Have a look through some MRT websites throughout any summer if you don’t believe me.

Martin Hore 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Leam96climb:

I've set up a number of these in the past, from bridges and trees, during my working life (in outdoor education). More recently, I've arranged for them to be set up by professional ropes course builders. I would echo what others have said above. If you need to ask the questions you have, you may not have the experience you really need to set up something like this safely. Sorry if I'm misreading that.

Martin

OP Leam96climb 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Leam96climb:

Thanks everyone I'll just stick to normal climbing then at least I know what I'm doing on that. 

Trangia 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Dog Dave:

> Please don’t at the moment. We have to rescue multiple people every year who are injured on rope swings. Even though You might be fine but who will copy you if it looks like fun.

> Have a look through some MRT websites throughout any summer if you don’t believe me.

Agreed. This would be taking the piss on the lock down rules at the moment, and is totally contrary to what constitutes a reasonable excuse to leave your home.

In reply to Trangia:

Thanks but we was not doing it in the lockdown and sorry I made it seem worse saying sharp edges it's blunt wide metal pillers it just looked worse on pictures I'm not going to do it as all of you guys have very good points and I enjoy living haha thanks for the help 

leon 1 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Leam96climb: Fu*k me thats a first ! Someone on UKC  actually listening to advice.

In reply to leon 1:

Haha ain't that what this site is for 

marsbar 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Leam96climb:

It is but it makes a nice change when people listen and say thanks.  

When this lockdown is over post again and maybe someone local to you can give you a hand with it.  

In reply to marsbar:

Yeah thanks will do that sounds great 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...