Lock down, a dog's perspective.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tintinandpip 22 Apr 2020

Introductions first, I’m a Jack Russell ( tri-colour) very small only 4.5 kg, but long legged and fast. I live near the estuary and close to the mountains.

I’m a dog so I don’t understand all the words that my family says, just “important” ones.

I was always told that “42“ was  the number that gave all the answers, it appears that’s no longer the case  it’s now “19”

Since “19” appeared its all changed.

The people who used to be smaller and are now bigger have returned and spend their day sat at two  screens “working” I sometimes open an eye from my slumber on their comfortable beds and can confirm that some of what I see on those screens is not “work”.

“She” always “worked “ from home so I was never left for long even before “19”

“He” has changed, thankfully I no longer have to endure an early ( I mean way too early) morning “walk.” Instead he gets up and “works” so I get to pop into the “garden” ( more of that later ) and then dash upstairs and chose which member of the family is going to receive my love, I dive under the duvet and snuggle up.

I love my “walks” but things have gone crazy, they all seem determined to take me out. We mainly do the same local walk which is OK but becoming a bit boring. We even went round the local walk “anticlockwise” the other morning, “radical”.

Most days we get into the “car” which I love and drive “6 minutes” because we “are allowed to” to the local forest. For as long as I can remember which is my whole “life” we have walked on the edge of the forest  on route to the big hills which are brilliant and wild, we don’t go up there anymore, that might be  due to “19” but cause and effect isn't my strong point. We now slowly wander around the forest, observing every tree, every bird and ever deer track.

The other thing that has stopped is “climbing” we used to jump in the “car” before going  for a walk  and then I would get to lie in the sun all day, I especially liked the days when they carried that massive “mat” for me to sleep on.

My “home” is also changing “he” has been doing things to it for weeks filling, sanding and painting I've even helped  to mix “cement” which tastes horrible. It gives him “focus” which is weird as he hasn't done much  “focus” for the last fifteen years.

Since “19” “she” has become “obsessed “ with my garden which means my activities are now frowned upon, however I must admit it is looking very nice.

They assume that I can’t think about the “future” but I can, they think it will all go back to how it was, but it won’t, I can smell that on the wind.

nniff 22 Apr 2020
In reply to tintinandpip:

Count yourself lucky, pal.  I'm a Cavapoo (OK, I'm just a mongrel, but she seems to think a poo gives me more credibility).  I haven't been near my normal walks for ages.  The garden is a bomb site because the builders shuffled off three weeks ago and haven't been back since.  I have a dog flap, but now I get shouted at for walking mud into the house if it's been raining.  It took me ages to get the hang of the plank that leads up to the dog flap now it's two feet in the air - the bloody cat just minces up it - sodding show-off, I'll have him yet, mark my words.  The new walks are OK - a bit of tarmac and then we're off in a big rural circle.  No complaints really.  But then someone challenged one of them to run 5k for the NHS.  She had some consideration and ran her 5k on a  treadmill, but the younger one took me with him.  FFS have you seen the length of my legs!  I'd just about got over that when the older one dragged me off too.  Hauled me along the tarmac so fast that I didn't have a chance to park my breakfast - he said something about not running with a bag of poo for 5k - told me I'd have to do a covert dump in the wilds.  Anyway, silly sod, because that calf muscle he tore in January is torn again.  Back to sedate walks again, and he can just carry the little bag of scentedness with him again. 

Dax H 22 Apr 2020

Both absolutely brilliant, I particularly like the park the breakfast comment. 

I'm feeling so sorry for our pooch, every weekend in winter and multiple times a week in summer we take him to the park / woods and he loves to run off the lead and jump about with other dogs. 

Now he walks round the streets twice a day on his lead, I could drive him to the woods, it's only 5 minutes away but from what I have seen it's rammed with dogs and dog owners and I wouldn't feel good about letting him off the lead, any dog that has the virus on its coat will transfer it to spud as they play  and spud likes to share his affection with his owners / servers with lots of kisses. 

robert-hutton 22 Apr 2020

Great post apart from a Jack Russell looks down on nothing, in its mind it's the biggest baddest son of a bitch going.

Fozzy 22 Apr 2020

My Jack Russell is thoroughly enjoying having a lap to have his afternoon nap on (while I’m having mine), especially when my lunch & an inevitable tidbit for him always precedes it. 

OP tintinandpip 23 Apr 2020
In reply to Fozzy:

Many thanks for your interest and input, and thanks to our four legged friends who help to keep us all sane. 

Shadow 23 Apr 2020

Hello my name is Thomas and I'm a big fluffy ginger cat. I seriously have no idea what you're all talking about and now I think I'll go and have a nap.

Dave the Rave 23 Apr 2020

My names Skye and I’m a bad collie and a fugitive. 

My dads a bit ‘whoo’ a bit ‘whay’.

He pisses off to work, at least that where he says he goes, instead of being on lock down with me.

When he gets in he is utterly pissed off and needs a walk in some quiet woods as all our streets are full of plastic exercisers. I’d love to have a nip of them me.

So, it’s out through the back gate and straight into the boot with the excuse kindling and a loaf incase we got stopped.

I have to hide under a blanket, oh the Feckin indignity, until we get to the nice quiet woods.

Then, the game is mine 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...