Charging for wild camping?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alan Breck 05 Dec 2019

An interesting thought for those proposing to visit Scotland in the future:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-50670896

Tom Valentine 05 Dec 2019
In reply to Alan Breck:

Wild camping is not motorhome camping. As I understand it casual motorhome camping has never been allowed in Scotland in the same way as lightweight tented camping; people have been taking the piss and now the pigeons are coming home to roost.

Deadeye 05 Dec 2019
In reply to Alan Breck:

Ha! That'd be the same "technology" that's going to make a frictionless irish border post Brexit?

Luke90 05 Dec 2019
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> Wild camping is not motorhome camping. As I understand it casual motorhome camping has never been allowed in Scotland in the same way as lightweight tented camping; people have been taking the piss and now the pigeons are coming home to roost.

The consultation does seem to be talking about both categories though. What they're actually proposing isn't all that clear to me but I guess that's to be expected from a brief summary when it's at an early stage.

Barring a truly vast array of cameras, I'm sceptical about how a numberplate recognition system is going to help them impose a charge on, say, van-campers but not visitors who just drive up and stay with family for a few days.

As someone who does van-camp* fairly often, I'd be pretty okay with paying a reasonable tax that went to the local area.

*Subtly and without leaving anything behind

brianjcooper 05 Dec 2019
In reply to Alan Breck:

It was probably OK in the Bonnie Prince's day, but now the impact of tourists needs to be addressed. If we want to preserve the countryside we should be expected to contribute to its protection.

In reply to Alan Breck:

Cool.  Dodging their tax will add an extra bit of fun to a backpacking trip.

OP Alan Breck 05 Dec 2019
In reply to Alan Breck:

I reckon that anyone using a public toilet (Try finding one in remote parts of Scotland. Most are now shut) and carrying a rucksack would be fair game for the thought police!

Charge one penny sir. 

jbrom 05 Dec 2019
In reply to Alan Breck:

I have done plenty of low key nights in laybys and car parks in the back of my estate. Including multi weeks in Scotland and elsewhere.

Always happy to pay for food and drink in a pub or cafe at the same time as using the facilities. By the same token would have no problem paying something to support local facilities etc. A formalised version of how the toilets at Glen Brittle campsite used to be with an an honesty box for non campsite users that went into the upkeep of the facilities. 

Neil Williams 05 Dec 2019
In reply to Alan Breck:

I'm supportive of tourist taxes especially if used to e.g. fund a free public transport ticket for the duration of stay to reduce car use.  However, I'd probably be inclined to keep it simple and apply it only to hotel and hostel stays where it's easy to collect.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...