Bouldering mat hole repair advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MNA123 27 Feb 2019

Evening all

I had a bloody mouse in the garage that has decided to eat through the bottom of my moon saturn pad and make a hole in it.

Luckily it didn't go to town on the foam just the material on the bottom and a bit of the plastic that covers the foam.

The hole isn't huge maybe 1ft x 1ft and thats probably an exageration. Im looking at bodging it up by buying a square of material and gluing it over.

Does anyone have any advice on what type of material to use and where to get it from etc?

I am looking at polyester rip stop fabric on amazon but dont want to get it to thick or thin so if anyone has done this themselves and can offer advice that would be great.

pec 27 Feb 2019
In reply to MNA123:

You can get suitable fabrics from these

https://www.profabrics.co.uk/ but they sell it by the metre and the rolls are about 1.5m wide so you'll have a lot spare!

Aren't most mats made of cordura rather than ripstop polyester? I don't boulder much but I don't recall seeing a mat that wasn't made of cordura or something similar.

I can't imagine glue holding though, perhaps Tenacious Tape might https://tinyurl.com/y5wh2pb5

Never used it myself but it regularly gets recommended on here. Ideally you'd sew it but you'd need to take the foam out and have a sewing machine (or take it to a sewing repair shop).

Regarding the repair, I'd put the patch on the inside of the hole, i.e. so its between the outer fabric and the foam so you can see it through the hole. That way the edges of the patch aren't exposed and can't get ripped off if they catch on something.

OP MNA123 27 Feb 2019
In reply to pec:

Thank you for the informative and detailed reply, good idea putting it on the inside of the hole, makes perfect sense.

I will have a look at the links and get some fabric ordered.

In reply to MNA123:

Same happened to my Alpkit.... I emailed them and they sent some decent sized patches. Might be worth emailing Moon.

I then stuck and then sewed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...