Bike Lights - Again

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Frankie boy 26 Dec 2018

Hi all,

I know this topic has probably been done to death, but bear with me, I'm new to the technical stuff on cycling and me mind melted when looking into this.

What I'm after is cheapish lights to go on my mountain bike. I'm not going to be doing any hardcore stuff, especially at night. Prob more like towpath stuff, easy trails and roads, so doesn't have to be amazingly bright but adequate. Also, it needs to charge via USB (live on a boat and no 240v). Ideally longish lasting battery too if I go on trips with limited power access. Oh, and ideally all in one, i.e. no seperate battery pack.

Sorry again for what is p[robably a repeated thread, and thansk for any advice.

Frank

Dr.S at work 26 Dec 2018
In reply to Frankie boy:

Do you already have a headtorch? If it’s fairly powerful just see if you can mount it on you bike lid.

Sharp 26 Dec 2018
In reply to Frankie boy:

Yeah a decent head torch is probably your best bet. I use cheap imported lights on the bike, but I charge them outside. If you're charging things on your boat then be really careful about cheap rechargables, they do catch fire every now and again and the only solution is charging them somewhere a fire would be contained or buying more expensive branded items.

elsewhere 26 Dec 2018
In reply to Frankie boy:

https://www.evanscycles.com/fwe-rechargeable-front-light-80-lumen-EV244785

https://www.evanscycles.com/fwe-rechargeable-light-set-80-15-lumen-EV215304

Front light is very bright for the tiny size.

I've been using the set helmet mounted for 4 or 5 winters, 1hr40mins per day.

Hooo 26 Dec 2018
In reply to Frankie boy:

I was looking for the same thing, and after a bit of Googling I found several recommendations for the Soshine TC12. I got one for under a tenner from ebay. It's just a torch, so I had to make a bracket for the handlebars. It's far more powerful than any "proper" bike lights in that price range. It's self contained with a micro USB for charging.

OP Frankie boy 26 Dec 2018
In reply to Hooo:

Thanks all,

Oddly I do also probably need a new headtorch too so maybe I could look at one that will do both jobs.

I'm used to fire on the boat with the wifes cooking (I have 3 extinguishers strategically placed) but I'd still rather avoid the risk if possible. 

Will look at the other lights too. Fingers crossed for some end of year sale.

Cheers

Frank

Neil Williams 26 Dec 2018
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> Do you already have a headtorch? If it’s fairly powerful just see if you can mount it on you bike lid.

If you do, make *absolutely sure* you adjust it so it is not going to shine in the face of whoever you look at and blind them.

OP Frankie boy 27 Dec 2018
In reply to Neil Williams:

Yep, I'm not too sure I'll be too popular by turning everyone down the towpath into Stevie Wonder

OP Frankie boy 27 Dec 2018
In reply to elsewhere:

Are these lights just 80 lumens?

I have a vague feeling (correct me if I'm wrong) that the lumen grading can vary between manufacturers (i.e. 300 lumens from one manufacturer can be as bright as 400 lumen from another). I may be wrong on this but had some memory about being told not to be too obsessed with the lumen figure.

Also, on this note, a friend was showing me their light last night which is a Lezyne, I think. It was 800 lumens which is plenty on the dark towpaths etc but when in its dimmer mode it looked like cycling on the towpath at night could be quite adventurous.

John Ww 27 Dec 2018
In reply to Neil Williams:

> If you do, make *absolutely sure* you adjust it so it is not going to shine in the face of whoever you look at and blind them.

Don't be ridiculous, according to some on here, your rights as a cyclist outweigh those of all other humans. As long as you can see where you're going, who cares if a few folk get blinded by your light and fall into the canal?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...