Picnic in Mid Wales

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ajc123 22 Nov 2018

Off to Dolgellau tomorrow from Devon, can anyone recommend somewhere to stop for lunch on or near the A470?

Rob Exile Ward 22 Nov 2018
In reply to ajc123:

Er... Slightly weird. Pretty much any layby on the A470 is OK, but Horeshoe Pass between Dinas Mawwdy and Dolgellau is worth stopping the car for.

FactorXXX 22 Nov 2018
In reply to ajc123:

If you take the B4518 scenic route between Llanidloes (via Staylittle) and Llanbrynmair, you can stop off at a car park (915888) with a lovely view over Llyn Clywedog.  
It will probably be misty or raining though...

Removed User 22 Nov 2018
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> but Horeshoe Pass between Dinas Mawwdy and Dolgellau is worth stopping the car for.

Er, sorry but I've known that area for many, many years but I don't know of a Horseshoe Pass in the vicinity. Can you enlighten me please?

Genuinely interested

Post edited at 20:37
In reply to ajc123:

Since there may be some confusion are you after a spot to scoff a packed lunch, or a pub, shop or similar to buy something?

T.

PaulTclimbing 22 Nov 2018
In reply to ajc123:

Mcdonalds Abergavenny, The Bear Hotel in Crickhowell;  or for picnic, Raglan castle or Usk Castle or Tretower court(history), Marteg Bridge towards llangurig. Chippy in Llanidloes. Anywhere over Clywedog going to staylittle as mentioned. My choice Tretower court or The Bear.

Post edited at 21:08
pasbury 22 Nov 2018
In reply to ajc123:

Slight detour to the Elan valley visitor centre would be nice. The cafe is OK, the staff at the visitor centre are absolutely lovely.

Myfyr Tomos 22 Nov 2018
In reply to ajc123:

The pass between Dinas Mawddwy and Dolgellau is Bwlch yr Oerddrws. Keep yer head down in case of low flying jets if the top carpark is full. (google Mach Loop) 

Rob Exile Ward 23 Nov 2018
In reply to Removed UserBoingBoing:

You're quite correct, it's what my wife's family always called it and I just went along with it. Never again!

Removed User 23 Nov 2018

Thanks. The big pass on that stretch is Bwlch Oerddrws. If my knowledge of Welsh is correct it means Cold Door Pass.

wynaptomos 23 Nov 2018

I think the confusion may be with Bwlch yr Oerddrws and Bwlch yr Oernant which is Horseshoe Pass near Llangollen.

pasbury 23 Nov 2018
In reply to Removed UserBoingBoing:

A very appropriate name.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...