Run planning app

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hey all. Can anyone recommend a decent Android compatible run planning app please. I use Strava when online but I could do with a decent mobile option.

Thanks

Richard 

EuanM 11 Nov 2018
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

I use the OS Maps app for planning. Not sure if there is an Android version. 

In reply to EuanM:

Is it free?

EuanM 11 Nov 2018

£26pa for all of UK coverage. Or type in the codes from paper maps to view that area, without the subscription. 

Tried the free trial. Not sure I like it. 

yorkshireman 12 Nov 2018

I guess it depends on how off-grid you are and how much detail you need?

I use Google Maps for rough planning. The mobile app can store local maps in most locations.

I usually create walking locations between a couple of points on the desktop app, then drag waypoints around to make a loop or make the route more specific to what I want. Turn on the terrain layer and you get an idea of hilliness. The route directions will even show you elevation.

You can then send this to the Google Maps app on your mobile.

I use Trace de Trail for detailed planning and creating printable maps. It's French but has lots of international map layers you can use. However I've found the hard way that the app isn't the best when stuck up a mountain with no mobile signal (caching the map etc).

nacnud 12 Nov 2018

Some combination off:

Strava heatmaps to see where other people have been.

OS maps online to see where the paths are supposed to be.

Google streetview to check out reality.

Komoot to give off road turn by turn audio directions.

Polar beat to tell me to run faster. Or slower but that doesn't happen often

Post edited at 10:35

Not sure I have been clear in my request.  When I go to Strava I can create a route which shows distance and elevation.  It also follows the roads or major tracks, which is a nice feature to make plotting it easier.  Is there an app which does similar.  Preferably free but happy to make a contribution to a good developer.  

Its a real shame that Strava dont port this functionality to their mobile app.

nacnud 12 Nov 2018
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: Use the browser on your phone to create routes on the strava website.

JTjoris 12 Nov 2018

I use the outdooractive mobile app to create routes. Shows you both the route and elevation.

https://www.outdooractive.com/

Post edited at 11:41
 ianstevens 12 Nov 2018

OS Maps does have the snapping functionality, although only in national parks and it can be a bit suspect from time-to-time.

Found one. Its a web app and really good on the phone. Mapometer.com.

Suncream 02 Dec 2018

I use mapometer on my pc, and occasionally in the browser on my phone, but find it very fiddly to do so.aybe it would be easier with a bigger phone

RedFive 31 Dec 2018

ViewRanger works better as an App (Android or apple) than on the PC and is equally good at plotting run routes as well as walking ones. 

https://www.viewranger.com/en-gb

Is that the premium version?  I have the free one and cant do much, including find myself withat little dot thing which finds my gps signal and shows where Im stood.

RedFive 01 Jan 2019

I think so. I’ve had it for ages but paying a tenner for it rings a bell. You get map credits included so can download OS etc if you won’t get a phone signal when walking / running though there are plenty of free maps available if online.

I use it mainly for walking in the Lakes but have used it many times when in different cities to quickly plot a run route from the hotel door. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...