South Stack Parking Charges

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
In reply to dgp:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-46045759

The Welsh Government Planning Inspectorate have overturned Anglesey Council's planning objections (primarily that charging at Elin's Tower and South Stack carparks would cause congestion on the approach road due to people parking roadside instead).

This gives the RSPB the go-ahead to install meters at the carparks, so people will have to pay either the £5 charge (or a reduced charging rate for locals) or else join the RSPB (£48 annual single membership; members park free).

It also means Anglesey Council will have to pay the RSPBs costs for the appeal.

(I don't think the parking / turning areas further up the hill are RSPB owned, so early-bird climbers may still avoid the charge?)

Post edited at 20:42
 Tigger 01 Nov 2018
In reply to dgp:

Will the charges be enforceable? 

ianstevens 01 Nov 2018
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

So what? It's someone else's land, and the car park is often full. Share with a friend and you halve you parking cost. Share with three friends and it's £1.25 a day. 

This money mainly goes back to conservation (as much as for any large charity) rather than for profit.

What's the issue here?

JMarkW 01 Nov 2018

Strange considering in the last few years Anglesey council have made several other parking places which they own in areas with similar if not worse congestion (eg. Rhoscolyn) pay and display.

Rhoscolyn particularly annoys me as this land was gifted to the council for free access....

In reply to ianstevens:

> What's the issue here?

I never said there was an issue! I'm an RSPB member anyway, and use the carparks as much for birding as for climbing (or more often both). 

Locals have raised objections at the level of charge, but Anglesey council have, as noted above, already introduced similar charges (£3.50 for 4 hours) at many of the premium council owned sites (Trearddur bay, Rhoscolyn, Cable bay etc.), and the council /wildlife trust managed Breakwater Country Park at the opposite side of the mountain / North Stack has charged for parking since 2012.  

ianstevens 02 Nov 2018

Apologies; I read to much into your message, based upon the local,upset at having to pay to park. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...