Which gps watch?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Russell Lovett 19 Jul 2018

Im after suggestions for a gps watch. Im not after anything with all the bells and whistles i dont need heartrate monitor, lap counter, callories burned counter or all that kind of thing. All i really need is a alltertude readout, follow route, go to waypoint and the kind of stuff you would need and use while out walking in the hills. Any suggestions appreciated.

Jamming Dodger 19 Jul 2018
In reply to Russell Lovett:

Looked at the OS maps app for your phone? I use it all the time. You can plot routes etc. Works in the middle of nowhere too. I think the subscription is about £25 a year (can’t remember)

Dark-Cloud 20 Jul 2018

you don’t mention budget but take a look at The Facewest website, they have all the Suunto stuff on sale at very good prices, I am a Garmin man myself for but plenty of Suunto users around these parts.

Ridge 20 Jul 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I've been looking at Suunto, but there seems to be an ongoing issue with the Movescount app for downloading run information.

Dave B 20 Jul 2018
In reply to Ridge:

It's working for me at the moment, butbut there is a problem with renaming way points unless that has been fixed.... 

DancingOnRock 20 Jul 2018

Garmin 235 is a handy bit of kit. You can download all kinds of apps to it. There’s a waypoint/route follower app. 

steelbru 20 Jul 2018
In reply to DancingOnRock:

For hillwalking he may want barometric altimeter, rather than GPS guesstimate ? In which case 235 not any use.

On the Garmin side of things for a baro reading would need a Vivoactive3, or FR645 ( I think ) or the Fenix range, or 920XT.

No idea which Suuntos have a baro altimeter

Edit : Also Garmin 935

Post edited at 20:30
 markk 22 Jul 2018

Hi - I have a Garmin Fenix 3 in excellent condition for sale, though for what you mention you want a GPS for, you might (as Jamming Dodger says) be better to look at a phone app - something like Viewranger.

Dark-Cloud 22 Jul 2018

Fenix 3 on sportpursuit for £269

In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Just bought the Suunto traverse apher. All the things i wpuld use and none of the crap i wouldn't. Hope I've made the right choice. Could have gone with the garmin fenix 3 or 5, butt a lot of the things it can do wod never get used. Only realy wanted a back up for map and compass.

squarepeg 03 Aug 2018

^^^^ My thoughts exactly. All I might want is a GPS grid refernce, but just looked at Fenix 3..............£430

I don't think so, lol. Would only be needed now and then. Hard to believe nobody does a cheap basic thing.

Stichtplate 03 Aug 2018
In reply to squarepeg:

> I don't think so, lol. Would only be needed now and then. Hard to believe nobody does a cheap basic thing.

I wanted something with an altimeter that could give me a grid ref in an emergency. The mrs bought me an all singing and dancing Suunto ambit 3 (Birthday). Nice toy to play with for 6 months but far too complicated and a bit of a faff. The one time I could have done with a grid ref off it in your typical UK near emergency situation (freezing, blowing a gale, horizontal snow, white out and getting dark) I was tired, cold, a bit confused already and frankly I just couldn't face taking my gloves off and f*cking about with it.

I can only assume that the GPS element represents the major cost to the manufacturers and all the extra gubbins are cheap add ons that the marketing folk insist will sell the product.

Personally, I think a really simple watch/GPS/altimeter easily operated with gloves on, would have a lot of people interested.

Post edited at 19:55
 mik82 03 Aug 2018

Why not get a second hand one - they have less extra functionality. I bought a Suunto Ambit 2 for £55 which has barometric altimeter and can do all the things you need.

You don't have to use all the other functions on it, and could sell it on if you don't like it.

Post edited at 20:56
 Wainers44 03 Aug 2018

Garmin Forerunner 235 still less than £200 at Blacks. Had mine a few months now and really impressed. Not quite sure what spending over £400 would get you that this watch doesn't do and that you really need! 

tjhare1 04 Aug 2018

Suunto Ambit 3 Peak on sport pursuit at £175!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...