Climbing or skiing helmet?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
grahamstaines 17 Jun 2018

Thanks to a small slip in some mud a few months ago, I'm on Warfarin for life. I'm trying not to let it dictate what I can and can't do, but need to take precautions, just in case. Because I have a high INR (my target is 3-4 for those that know) I'm at a pretty high risk of a bleed on the brain if I hit my head hard.  I'm wanting to get out walking more this winter, and of course, that means probably walking on ice, and knowing my luck, I will fall. So, I'm wondering, would I do better getting a climbing or skiing helmet to protect my head if/when it happens? I will only be walking, mostly in the peaks, but might venture up to the lakes and cairngorms if I get the chance.  I currently use yaktrax, to stop me sliding about too much on the ice, but would it be worth me upgrading crampons as well, just in case?

IPPurewater 17 Jun 2018
In reply to grahamstaines:

I wonder if there is anywhere you can get data on how much force is trasmitted to the head in the event of a "standard" test force, if such a thing exists.

I think you probably what a helmet with a substantial foam element, but with good protection at the side and back.

How about something like a Petzl Meteor or Sirocco. Good impact protection and light enough that you'll forget you're wearing it. I reckon a ski helmet would get pretty hot and sweaty if you're walking uphill for any distance.

wbo 17 Jun 2018
In reply to grahamstaines:I think lightweight skiing sounds more useful but I'm sure some climbing helmets will do the job for side impact.   I'd also recommend poles, and crampons as you'll be far less likely to fall.

Good luck as well 

I do all ready use poles, it was actually on the first trip out with them that i had the slip that caused the dvt and pe.  I was at brimham rocks in January, and knew tje ground would be a bit icy so took them. It wasnt as bad as i thought so had them on the bag but managed to slip and damage my ankle. 

I was thinking skiing would probably be better,  as I'm toying with the idea of having lessons but thought I'd get some advice anyway

AlanLittle 17 Jun 2018

Ski helmets are designed for precisely that sort of impact; otoh they're generally heavier & more obtrusive than modern lightweight climbing helmets, which do have at least some degree of side impact protection.

Dave the Rave 17 Jun 2018

Could I ask why a small slip has left you on warfarin? Intrigued.

In reply to Dave the Rave:

No one is actually sure.  In the words of the hematoligist, there's good reasons for me getting a dvt, but there's no good reasons for me getting a dvt. 

I slipped in the mud straining my ankle.  The trauma from that and 4 days bed rest are the good reasons they have given for the clot. However,  they would only be good reasons if i was a little old lady,  but I'm classed as 'Young fit and healthy ' (i nearly peed myself laughing when he called me that!) So in theory i shouldn't have clotted. I was put on rivaroxaban for 6 months,  but 3 weeks in to it i got a pulmonary embolism. That made them change to warfarin for life. 

Kin hell! Sorry to hear that!

Are you worried about cuts too? Could you take some vitamin k on trips in case you nick something or have a bump? I’m not a medic but I know this is used for haemorrhagic bleeds.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=13&ved=2ahUKEwiPx...

Post edited at 19:49
In reply to Dave the Rave:

I don't carry any Vietnam k, i don't actually seem to bleed that much when i do get cut.  Saying that,  i did get a little cut on my hand a few weeks ago that took over 2 hours to stop leaking,  so that was fun. 

I'm going to get something to keep in my first aid kit to stop bleeding just in case though. Any tips?  I'm thinking just a couple of panty liners should do the job. 

Ask your Gp about the Vk. Tampons could be good although my Mrs’ rags often overload?

I assume you've been through the conversation with your doctors as to whether you really need to take an anticoagulant for life, following what appears to have been a one-off incident?

[edit. ps. sorry to hear you're having this problem; it must suck]

Post edited at 22:53
In reply to captain paranoia:

Yep. Gp, haematologist and pulmonologist all agree I should be on it for life. It has its benefits, I normally start work at 0630, but as I have to have my bloods checked every week or two, I get to lay in until 0800 sometimes. Every cloud, an all that!

Otis 18 Jun 2018

if you're after a helmet to protect yourself from impact with the floor from around six feet up, then a cycling helmet may well be worth a look? Potentially has better shock-absorbing qualities than a climbing helmet for this type of fall and almost certainly lighter and better ventilated than a skiing helmet.  

Howard J 18 Jun 2018

Bear in mind that climbing helmets vary. Some are designed to mainly deal with impacts from above ie falling rocks, others to take side impacts.

On 'proper' snow and ice you can't beat crampons, but yaktrax are useful when there isnt enough snow for crampons but still a risk of slipping, and they're much quicker to slip on and off. In your situation I'd take both.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...