Down hill endurance training

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
iusedtoclimb 12 Jun 2018

Can anyone recommend training for downhills? I mean long downhills a long way into a mountainous ultra so that I can actually run them and not shuffle in terrible pain.

Obviously the best practice is running downhill but are there other exercises you can do to complement this to build the strength and endurance for those long downhills?

BedRock 12 Jun 2018
In reply to iusedtoclimb:

youtube.com/watch?v=Nx6W2KTn8a8& a few exercises there.

I also do core exercises as I found when I slacked off from regular core exercises my core 'fatigues' when running long descents (2-3km continuous downhill with about 1000m height loss).

And i also do downhill hill reps as well as uphill hill reps (but not in the same training session) - varying lengths, steepness, time etc

summo 12 Jun 2018

As you can in fact by breaking not going, I've known people do sessions on gym bikes that work your legs when you pedal backwards. 

Ps. Not saying it works, just an example of a different approach. 

Post edited at 10:22
iusedtoclimb 12 Jun 2018
In reply to BedRock:

How do you do down hill reps without doing uphill?

SouthernSteve 12 Jun 2018

Core strength and VMO strengthening – planks, single leg resisted bridges and wall sits three times a week each until fatigued. Quick short 'fast feet' steps also to be useful in reducing the impact. 

DaveHK 12 Jun 2018

> How do you do down hill reps without doing uphill?

Taxi.

Roadrunner6 12 Jun 2018

I think just hills, but don't look at cumulative ascent.

In the UK you need to go summit to valley to summit to valley etc.. hike strong. 3 3000 ft climbs is much better than 10-20 x 500-1000 ft climbs and descents.

Roadrunner6 12 Jun 2018

He just means go down hard, up easy and so on..

then on another day, up hard, down easy and so on.

BedRock 13 Jun 2018

the opposite to 'uphill' reps where you go hard up and easy down. Switch it so hard down, easy up (usually a walk/jog depending on how steep)

iusedtoclimb 13 Jun 2018

Thanks everyone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...