Garmin Fenix 3 - not as waterproof as I thought

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Oo 29 May 2018

My Fenix 3 has survived almost exactly 2 years of not very strenuous use.  Hiking and running mainly, some rocky trips but no damage at all and the odd day here or there getting wet.  Sadly, a bit of frolicking in the waist deep waves at the weekend has finished it off.  Shame really as until now I'd been really pleased with it.  I am wondering if I am just the unlucky one in a million or if it is a more common fault.  Does 100m waterproof really mean that (it's never been deeper than a couple of meters)?  I am um-ing and er-ing as to whether I give Garmin another £80 to send me a refurbished replacement or just call it quits.

Has anybody had any similar experiences, or has yours lasted longer than 2 years?  Is the Fenix 5 any better or worse; or another brand?  Does anyone want to buy a 'new' Fenix 3?

Limp rant over.

Oo

StuDoig 29 May 2018
In reply to Oo:

I've had a fenix 3 for a few years and no issues with it - commonly worn whenever I've been swimming etc with no problems so probably that you've just been unlucky!  

Cheers,

Stu

rogersavery 29 May 2018
In reply to Oo:

Take it back to the retailer - I they claimed it was good the 100m submersion then if it leaks at 1m it clearly isn’t fit for purpose

rogersavery 29 May 2018
In reply to Oo:

edit: just checked the specs - it’s not rated to 100m - it’s rated to 10atm which means 10 x atmosphic pressure - so it’s a question of whether the waves exceeded that.

but having said that I have used gopros rated to 30m in grade 4 water on a kayak without getting water in the case - how big were your waves?

mbh 29 May 2018
In reply to rogersavery:

10 atm means about 100m depth in water. Can't see how you'd exceed that messing about in waist deep waves.

Y Gribin 29 May 2018
In reply to Oo:

I have a Fenix 3 which I use heavily for mountaineering, cycling, running.....and swimming. No problems at all. 

OP Oo 29 May 2018

Bought in an airport 2 years ago, so the retailer return option isn't going to work.

They were some pretty mediocre waves, if I knelt down they were nearly over my head.  Doubt I ever exceeded 10 atm.

I've asked Garmin to explain what went wrong, unlikely they bother, but will report back if I hear anything.  Better luck with the next one I suppose.

Dave B 29 May 2018
In reply to rogersavery:

That's 10atm static pressure. That's why diving watches for scuba are 200m rated and pro divers watches 300m+.

I've used my 100m suunto in the surf, but usually under the wetsuit in big conditions. Hasn't leaked yet, but seals do fail over time, so I'm not shocked. 

In reply to Oo:

I've had one for nearly 2 years and have done several triathlons and open water swims with no issues.

Si Withington 30 May 2018
In reply to Oo:

I wear mine running canyoning trips several times a week throughout the summer and have never had an issue. 

SouthernSteve 30 May 2018
In reply to Oo:

I would speak to Garmin -it does seem a fault rather than a feature. Mine has certainly been fine in all kinds of watery situations. They may be kind but if not £80 is better than buying a new watch.

P.S. The Fenix 5 is meant to be quite difficult to charge on the go compared to the 3

Post edited at 18:05
 climbEdclimb 30 May 2018
In reply to Oo:

Not the same problem but similar to you my Fenix has seen decent but not heavy use. However, having had it for ~2 years the watch no longer picks up a GPS signal. 

I contacted Garmin and they said they would replace it, but for £180?!

Love the watch. Don’t love the fact that you spend ~£500 on it and after 2 years one of its main functions is falling. Would have thought it’d last longer than that.

SebCa 30 May 2018
In reply to Oo:

Definitely contact Garmin/retailer, my mate had the 3 and not the 3HR and had exactly the same problem when it came into contact with salt water. They replaced his FOC. 

I can't remember exactly who replaced it if its was Cotswold or Garmin but it was at least two years old and he got a brand new 3.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...