Insulated down jacket that packs : that packs very small

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Kingtubby100 14 Dec 2017
My first post, and would appreciate any help.

As described in the title, I am after a down jacket that will pack small. This will be used after running when I have to wait at train stations etc and get cold quite quickly. Small (and lightish) are preferable as running with it in my small trail rucksack. Ideally, it will be a little shower proof too.

PS In terms of budget, definitely not more than £200, ideally a bit lower. All suggestions welcome.
 99ster 14 Dec 2017
In reply to Kingtubby100:

PHD Designs (British company!) will be a good place to start:

https://www.phdesigns.co.uk/
 Phil79 14 Dec 2017

Montane fireball or Alpkit Heiko might suit? Both pack very small for easy carrying., but neither have hood.
 Oli 14 Dec 2017

Try Montbell. They do some superlight down jackets.
https://euro.montbell.com/

I've been using the Alpkit Heiko for this very purpose. It's not down but has been perfectly warm so far this year, with temps down to around 0 degrees on occasion(Commuting between North Essex and London)
As the chap above mentions there's no hood but i wear a bobble hat anyway. I have a 15L running sack and can get jeans, shirt, socks, pants and jacket in it comfortably.

Excellent budget wise too.
Hope that helps.
 SDM 14 Dec 2017

What about the Quechua x-light from decathlon?

It is a light down / synthetic hybrid with a showerproof coating. It doesn't have hydrophobic down though so you wouldn't want to wear it in prolonged or heavy rain.

The best thing? The price. Just £30 at full price. Sometimes available for less than £20.

Mine has held up well to a year's worth of abuse when out bouldering, climbing and running. I find I use it far more than my other, much more expensive jacket.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/x-light-m-padded-jacket-ora-id_8397256.html
Kingtubby100 14 Dec 2017
Great ideas..I will check these out, I am not far from a decathlon and may give it a go....I have used alpkit before and liked their rucksacks (functional but bombproof)
 Ciro 14 Dec 2017

+1 for the quechua - great value, surprisingly warm and mine also took a fair beating as a daily use jacket for the full winter in the van in Spain, and still in good enough condition for someone to nab it when I left it at the crag
 steveb2006 14 Dec 2017
In reply to Phil79:

The Montane fireball jacket does have a hood (the pull over / smock version doesnt) and is very light.
 tradisrad 14 Dec 2017

Patagonia Ultralight Down Sweater
 Tricky Dicky 14 Dec 2017
In reply to SDM:

I've got a Quecha from Decathlon and it has become my go-to jacket for lots of occasions
In reply to SDM:

I would pay the extra £10 and go for the Full Down jacket

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/full-down-m-down-jacket-blue-id_8397298.html

They're claiming 800fp down this season. Design looks a little different to the one I've had for a few years, which I take skiing in a small MTB hydration pack (with water, goggles, camera, etc).
 SDM 14 Dec 2017
In reply to captain paranoia:

I looked at the Full Down when I bought my x-light. There was some disadvantage to it that made me decide against it. I think maybe the old version wasn't showerproof but I can't remember for sure.
 galpinos 14 Dec 2017

Any detail on the provenance of the down?
In reply to galpinos:

In the description. By-product of food.
 rgold 14 Dec 2017

I've tried a few over the years and have found the Mountain Hardware Ghost Whisperer to be the warmest and most compact I've used, but it is extremely pricey. (I noticed some 30% off sales on it recently but even so its expensive).
 Timmd 14 Dec 2017

On a totally unrelated note, Step It Up by King Tubby is one of my favourite dub tunes. The bassline is epic.

One thought I have about wearing a down jacket after running is that body sweat and oils might not do the down any good, and might mean the jacket needs cleaning fairly often?
In reply to SDM:

> I looked at the Full Down when I bought my x-light. There was some disadvantage to it that made me decide against it.

They were knocking them out at £22 in January, and I thought I ought to get a 'spare'. But they must have fiddled with the design, as the hood was tight on the back of the head, and the upper arms were made for body-builders. I took it back, even at £22. I do have a few down jackets, and didn't really need a spare...

I bought mine four years ago, when it was sold under their Wed'ze skiing brand. I've used it a lot, and been very happy with it.

As noted above, the design looks different this year; upper body baffles are slightly angled.
 Pedro 14 Dec 2017

I have a Mountain hardwear Ghost light which I bought for half price. Also a no longer available "Something light" by Decathlon. The MH is lightest and the Dog's. However the Decathlon is my go to as it was £39.99 its light, fits, is warm and I don't worry about sharp tools etc. Decathlon down jackets all have differing qualities of down, model compared to model, be careful.

Good Running
Kingtubby100 15 Dec 2017
Thanks all, I will go to the decathlon tonight and have a try.
Timmd, nice link
 Colin Wells 15 Dec 2017

Arguably the best value by far is the unfashionable (by outdoor standards) Uniqlo Ultra Light Down Jacket:

https://www.uniqlo.com/uk/en/men

I have the gilet version - it weighs virtually nowt, is very warm, has hydrophobic down, packs down to a tiny size and is much cheaper than most of the 'outdoor orientated' brands.

One of the most useful pieces of kit I have, and used for exactly the same purpose you have in mind.

Cheers,
Col
 Timmd 15 Dec 2017
I think I look funnily at dub fans who don't have King Tubby among their favourites.
Post edited at 10:30
 galpinos 15 Dec 2017

Missed that, good to know. I've always been skeptical of the provenance of the down in some of these cheap down products, especially the more fashion orientated ones like uniqlo.
 Timmd 15 Dec 2017
In reply to galpinos:

Yes, it's changed how I look at Decathlon down products.
 jethro kiernan 15 Dec 2017

I use a Arcteryx nuclie fl for just what you describe, ideal light and compact and warm enough for three seasons
Kingtubby100 03 Jan 2018

All, just as an update, based on the recommendations here, I purchased both the decathlon down jackets. I think post run, the £39 one is a bit smaller in the bag and lighter, the other one maybe slightly warmer. Both great for the money and have used both in the recent cold weather.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...