Today at the test

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Big Ger 13 Dec 2017
Make or break day for England.

Bairstow's been moved up the order, but an unchanged team.

England to lose by 200+ runs is my forecast, though I'd love to be proved wrong.
OP Big Ger 14 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Cook gone for 7, average across five innings of 14, sorry these are not opening bat figures, time to go.
 james.slater 14 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Good partnership now between Malan and Bairstow. Average first innings score at the WACA this year is apparently 320 odd, but I would say we need 400 to put some pressure on the Aus top order.
 GrahamD 14 Dec 2017
In reply to james.slater:

This is a lot, lot more respectable than when I first got up when we'd just gone 4 down for 160 odd.
 ben b 14 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Great innings by Malan.

Cook got a test 243 in August of this year.... Windies not as stretching as the Australians admittedly but no reason to drop him at all. Besides who would replace him?

B
 Rampikino 14 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Great recovery and finally England have turned up at The Ashes.

When we were whitewashed the last two times down under we struggled to get over 300 in our first innings - only happened once in the crushing defeat in Adelaide (losing from 551-6 declared).

Getting runs on the board in Australia is critical - England need to use a huge proportion of tomorrow piling it on. At least they have a platform now - for a change!
OP Big Ger 14 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Very enjoyable game to watch yesterday, and looking forward to today's play.

England had some luck with dropped catches, but that gloved ball was a stinker.

Sorry Ben, I cannot name anyone to take Cook's place, but we seem to be carrying him now.
 Kimono 15 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

oh, its all a little different this morning
 GrahamD 15 Dec 2017
In reply to Kimono:

Once again, Smith's wicket is key. If Australia get within about 100 of us on first innings, I think its going to be a depressingly familiar outcome
OP Big Ger 15 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

They are going to have to play around Smith, and hope to take other wickets.
OP Big Ger 16 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Smith 229 not out.

The Crims 146 runs ahead, with six wickets in hand.

Ashes over.
 scoobydougan 16 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Yep. It'll be 5 nil Cook'll resign and Root will give up the captaincy. But really the problem is the bowlers, no pace very little spin, unfavourable conditions for swing. Really it would have taken a miracle
 Ardo 17 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Only the rain can save us now!
 sheffieldchris 17 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:
Here is the problem as I see it (not an expert just a punters view)
The issues go far deeper than one series.

Our domestic cricket is not competitive enough. The player just do not get exposed to world class wickets, bowlers or batsmen, until they get into test cricket then they either have the foundation skills to do well or flounder.

How many English players are playing Sheffield Shield cricket in Australia? or playing in South Africa? Are we not good enough to get in their teams or just so narrow minded we stay in England.

The game is still seen as a middle class pastime. It is run buy white middleclass men.

The mentality of the English game is often second is good enough. We played the West Indies in the summer and when they were rubbish at the start, all the press was about how can we help them to save the game in their area. Can you imagine Australia doing the same to any side? Where was our ruthlessness to want to crush them so they remember the series every time they come on tour.

If we keep doing what we have kept doing don't be surprised when we get to countries that do not suit our style we get thumped.
 scoobydougan 17 Dec 2017
In reply to sheffieldchris:

Yeah well whilst we wait for total recreation of the English game we could try and find some one who can ball quick and qualifies for us eh ?
OP Big Ger 17 Dec 2017
In reply to Ardo:
Loved this line in the Graun...

"Cognitive dissonance is flying the better part of 10,000 miles to watch the cricket then sing and dance and plead for rain."

Cook made a grand total of 14.
Post edited at 23:20
OP Big Ger 18 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Aus regain the Ashes, England woeful.
 ianstevens 18 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

> Loved this line in the Graun...

> "Cognitive dissonance is flying the better part of 10,000 miles to watch the cricket then sing and dance and plead for rain."

> Cook made a grand total of 14.

But contributed more than Moeen, who has only contributed runs to the Australian scores.
 Chris the Tall 18 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Pretty remarkable to be 368-4 in the first innings, and yet lose by an innings. There was a time when if you got 400 they you could be pretty confident of at least a draw
 Welsh Kate 18 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Sigh
 Rob Parsons 18 Dec 2017
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> Pretty remarkable to be 368-4 in the first innings, and yet lose by an innings.

That's indeed the scale of the English achievement ...

Did anyone else notice, after Root had been dismissed by Lyon, that the (Australian) commentator quipped that 'it hasn't been a good series for the two verbs' - where the 'two verbs' refer to Cook and Root. That's funnier than it might sound, and I think intentionally so: the verb 'root' in Australia is generally understood to mean 'to have sex with.'
 GrahamD 18 Dec 2017
In reply to Rob Parsons:

I really feel sorry for Joe Root. His senior players either haven't stepped up or can't step up. I hope he gets himself a decent score in the next couple of tests, whatever the outcome.
OP Big Ger 18 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Overton seems to be the only England player with any fire in him, Bairstow and Malan batted well.

5 - 0 Whitewash?
 stevieb 18 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

I think malan is the only player who has exceeded expectation. The other new guys have done ok, and Bairstow and Anderson have put in some performances, but it’s the senior players who’ve underperformed here, including Root.
In reply to Big Ger:

5-0 was my prediction and that’s what England deserve. Quite a lot of changes are needed if they are serious about winning the ashes in Australia, however the ECB has seldom operated as if it is serious. I imagine they make decisions to mainly please themselves.
 GrahamD 21 Dec 2017
In reply to I like climbing:

> 5-0 was my prediction and that’s what England deserve. Quite a lot of changes are needed if they are serious about winning the ashes in Australia, however the ECB has seldom operated as if it is serious. I imagine they make decisions to mainly please themselves.

I'd agree that 5-0 is what England deserve on this showing, but I'd be interested to know what you think the ECB could do / could have done differently ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...