Kids merino base layer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 25 Nov 2017
We are godparents to a few small children and some of them are in need of good baselayers. What do you parenty types recommend? They will use them a lot and hand them down to younger siblings, so I'm willing to pay a bit more for good quality
 galpinos 25 Nov 2017
In reply to girlymonkey:

None of my merino items have lasted very long so i’m not sure merino baselayers would make a “could be handed down” kind of present. They are also sometimes itchy and that’s something kids will not tolerate.

So...... in true UKC style i’m going to suggest something you didn’t ask for.

Patagonia micro D bottoms. My girls live in them from autumn to spring. They are always in the bag, great when its properly cold and ideal for popping on in the playground when it’s a bit muddy and wet. They are warm, easy to get on over shoes and whatever else they’ve got on, they don’t seem to get very wet and are easily washable. We have various sizes for my 1 and 4yo in various colours, easy to roll up when a bit long. They will all be passed on.

http://eu.patagonia.com/gb/en/product/baby-micro-d-fleece-bottoms/60167.htm...
OP girlymonkey 25 Nov 2017
In reply to galpinos:

indeed, not what I asked for!!

I have found some merino more durable than others. I am currently really impressed with my Isobaa ones from Sports pursuit, but they dont appear to do kids ones. A merino mix would also work, like the Helly warm. I have found these in the kids sizes, but just looking for other ideas too to compare.
 TobyA 25 Nov 2017
In reply to girlymonkey:

I've chucked away some merino things recently that were just more holely than woolly! I was a massive fan of merino everything a few years ago, but have come more centrist on it now, mainly because as a material it is just so much more delicate than synthetics. I just discovered my favourite outdoorsy boxers, some Rab MeCo ones have a developed a hole from wear, and they are part synthetic - so even the mix materials seem more delicate, although last better than pure merino.

Anyway, Aldi have kids and adult merino tops and long johns either just in, or about to come in, as part of their ski range. I've had one pair of their merino long johns that came apart a seam, but they replaced them without an issue, and a second pair that are wearing well. I've also got some Lidl ones that are wearing well too. Having paid under 20 quid for them (one pair might have even been reduced to 10!) I don't think I'd buy smart wool or similar again as I was upset when they wore through!
In reply to TobyA:

I've got a lidl/Aldi merino top which has been can, so will keep an eye out there, thanks for the tip off (even if just for me rather than the kids!)

I find that periodically I go for synthetic tops but always end up back in merino. It's just so much nicer to wear I find. I go with natural fabric as much as possible.
 wbo 25 Nov 2017
In reply to girlymonkey: as a starting statement I haven't used anything better than capilene, and the kids stuff is super.

After that, for Merino, Bergans, DeVold are very good. A lot of the cheaper merino stuff is rubbish so I don't bother buying it. Waif for a sale.

Sharp 25 Nov 2017
In reply to girlymonkey:

I would stick with the merio helly's, they've got a decent kids range and the way the merino is weaved into the synthetic layer seem to help it to stand up to a lot of abuse. I've had mine about 10 years and it's still in good condition. Not exactly down with the kids these days but perhaps they might apreciate HH as being a bit more designer/stylish type clothing as well (cue "ugh, that's so old fasioned, jeez, that's not even been cool in like, centuries you know?")
 galpinos 25 Nov 2017
In reply to girlymonkey:

The HH sound good. All the icebreaker stuff I have is full of holes. I’ve two Patagonia merino t shirts which I assume are a blend as these have lasted really well.
In reply to Sharp:

These two aren't quite old enough to worry about designer, and don't have parents that will let them worry about that for practical clothing! They live in spotty otter waterproofs and other sensible clothing.
In reply to girlymonkey:

Like the others, I've lost the love for merino baselayers; just too fragile. And that was MAPP merino, used by the likes of Arc'teryx.

The only real benefit I noticed was pong resistance.

Kids don't sweat as much as adults, or get as smelly. And synthetics are easier to care for (merino really needs a delicates wash).

I'd go for synthetics. Or, if you must, go and check out the Aldi/Lidl skiwear special (just seen an advert),:or try Decathlon or Millets.
 Jim Walton 27 Nov 2017
In reply to girlymonkey:
Head to www.littleskiers.co.uk

They have some great Merrino Wool Base layers (reima come in funky clours). What the others have said is true though, pure merinao wool is not very hard wearing, the reason most of the larger manufactures supply merino blends is that the blend fibre adds the durability.
Post edited at 10:28
 alx 27 Nov 2017
In reply to girlymonkey:

Would second the HH or similar synthetic base layer option. All my merino baselayers have been either torn, eaten by animals or worn out from moderate use within 2-3yrs from purchase. My HH top and bottom base layer thermals are going on strong almost 12yrs and show no sign of failing.

Also for busy parents, picking out nice merino clothing to ensure they dont get boil washed or put in a wash with biological detergents will just be a headache.
 Jon Greengrass 27 Nov 2017
In reply to girlymonkey:

My eldest and youngest daughter love their Icebreaker merino Long sleeved Ts and leggings, it is expensive but worth it because it washes up so well and looks smart enough to wear any day of they year. The Icebreaker stuff would easily have done middle daughter too if she wasn't one of those people that can't abide wearing wool next to her skin she prefers ASDA synthetic thermals.

They have had some Peter Storm merino stuff as well but it doesn't wash up as well, it got very bobbly and lost its stretch and it doesn't look half as smart, so it only gets used when the Icebreaker stuff is in the wash.

You get what you pay for with Merino and they don't make it like they used to. I have a lightweight merino sweater from M&S that is nearly 20 years old and looks in better condition than new ones I've had less than a year.
 LastBoyScout 27 Nov 2017
In reply to girlymonkey:

My daughter has some Regatta base layer stuff - polyester, but quite cosy to the touch, comes in fun colours and doesn't break the bank. It's also at silly prices at the moment:

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/c/childrens/clothing/t-shirts-shirts.html#?...

There's more here, including Icebreaker and HH: https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/c/childrens/clothing/base-layers.html#?q=&a...
 Toccata 27 Nov 2017
In reply to wbo:

> After that, for Merino, Bergans, DeVold are very good. A lot of the cheaper merino stuff is rubbish so I don't bother buying it. Waif for a sale.

This. My lot live in Devold base layers (the ones with the smiley faces) and they are very durable.
 geordiepie 27 Nov 2017
In reply to girlymonkey:

superlovemerino.com

We got some for our daughter when she was one and I was impressed with the quality (not scratchy at all). Looks like they only go up to age 5-6 but highly recommended for little ones.
OP girlymonkey 27 Nov 2017
In reply to girlymonkey:

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I went with the Helly warm ones in the end. I have found them to be really toasty and durable and they seemed to be popular with you lot too!
Thanks for your help.

The eldest girl has her birthday in a few weeks too and I have just bought her a brighter head torch than mine for her birthday (Decathlon has really good torches for not much!), So I feel they are both ending up better kitted out than me!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...