best long easy scramble easy climb in lakes(to do solo)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tonanf 04 Sep 2017
as per title, your opinion is greatfully recieved with reasons.
thanks
 mike123 04 Sep 2017
In reply to tonanf:
Can't go far wrong with Corvus .
Edit : reason ? It's the best easy climb in the lakes.
Post edited at 18:15
 Shapeshifter 04 Sep 2017
In reply to tonanf:

I thought Needle Ridge on the Napes was a great solo. Carry walking boots in your sack and top out Great Gable with choices of descent. Fantastic views right down Wasdale.
 danm 04 Sep 2017
In reply to tonanf:

How about an enchainment of classics in Langdale? Middlefell Buttress, Gimmer Chimney and Rake End Chimney. Three crags with a bit of walking in between and the crux in the middle, when you're warmed up but not too knackered. Caveat - I wouldn't fancy Gimmer Chimney in the wet!
 Jon Stewart 04 Sep 2017
In reply to tonanf:

A brilliant one I did recently was the link-up on Grey Crag, Birkness Comb. Lots of options, but finish up Oxford and Cambridge Direct Route (S 4a), a spectacularly positioned arete on perfect rock, finishing at the summit of the mountain. If you don't know the Comb, it's an amazing place, so the approach is scenically magnificent. Once you've done it, you're then on one of the Lakes' finest ridges. All in all, it's got to be one the best solo missions of its type in England, do it!
 Tom Valentine 04 Sep 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Slept out in the Comb once prior to a great day on Eagle Crag. My snoring didn't spoil it for me one bit.....
OP tonanf 04 Sep 2017
In reply to tonanf:

thanks so far!
 John Kelly 04 Sep 2017
In reply to tonanf:

Langdale
Scout crags -route 1
White ghyll- slabs route
Pavey ark - crescent climb, Gwynne chimney
Gimmer - down se gully, main wall climb
Raven crag - down climb middlefell butress

You could add
Tarn crag - the Groove
Harrison stickle - south central route
 GrahamD 04 Sep 2017
In reply to tonanf:

If dry C Ordinary would be my choice. Followed by Middle Fell with all the pitches
 Jon Stewart 05 Sep 2017
In reply to John Kelly:

> Langdale

> Scout crags -route 1...

Thanks for this. I quite often find myself with the opportunity, e.g. after work, for a Langdale link-up, but haven't got round to it yet. One time I realised the guidebook was on the dining room table not in the car, and another time I was all set but it was all a bit damp so I went for a walk up Pike o'Blisco (actually, it started pissing it down before I got anywhere near the top and I went home and drank a bottle wine instead - but that was good too, it was decent wine). I did a search on here cause I was sure someone had a good link-up for such occasions, but couldn't find it.

I shall do this one at the next opportunity. One thing I love about living in the Lakes is that when it's a beautiful day and I'm all set to go climbing on the high crags, and then my partner bails I don't get frustrated and miserable, I go out and do something fantastic, soloing some mega-classic easy route and running along the ridges happy as larry. It's usually better than going climbing tbh, I don't fall off those routes!
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I thought Gimmer Chimney contained quite a hard move for the grade

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...