Inov 8 Roclite 295 Alternatives.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wilkesley 24 Aug 2017
For several years Roclite 295's have been my goto footwear. I use them for everyday wandering about and hill walking/scrambling. I am not a runner, so don't care about any running related activities. My latest pair seem to be wearing out much faster than the previous several pairs. There is already wear in on the uppers, which seem flimsier than my previous pairs after only light use. Also, the soles seem much slippier on wet rock than previous pairs, which were nice and grippy.

I have tried a different type of Inov 8, which I think are 280's. Not as comfy as the 290's and the uppers have worn out even faster. Plenty of tread left on the soles, but the left sole is now hanging off.

Any suggestions for alternatives? Comfort (I know that's subjective) and better durability the most important qualities!
 Dark-Cloud 24 Aug 2017
In reply to wilkesley:
Salomon speedcross 3 or 4, the newer vario has a less aggressive sole than the normal speedcross

https://www.sportsshoes.com/products/salomon/?l=20&q=*salomon%20speedcross*
Post edited at 20:04
 malk 25 Aug 2017
In reply to wilkesley:

have been using the RaceUltra 290 GTX (for walking and cycling for several months and both have split on inside of flex area- comfy but not durable- so also interested in alternatives..
 TMM 25 Aug 2017
In reply to wilkesley:

I had some similar issues so there might be some useful advice on this thread.

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=667776&v=1#x8601058
 TMM 25 Aug 2017
In reply to wilkesley:

As the thread I started has been archived and I can no longer reply I'll add my thoughts here.

I never got a reply from Inov8 and as a result they can say goodbye to my business.

Sports Pursuit were pretty helpful and gave me a full refund.

Genuinely shocked by how poor the shoes have been. It is clearly and error in design and materials. The overlays split because they are not robust enough and Inov8's thin flat laces create a sawing effect on the eyelet. Not impressive.

Based on the advice given I decided to give the Speedcross 4 a go. I went half a size up as they are a little narrow for my trotters.

I've only been on 4 runs with them so far but after 30+ miles I can say that the grip off road is great and the shoes feel very robust. They are stiffer and heavier than the Inov8s but I can live with that.

The only downside I am seeing is that the grip is terrible on damp tarmac. I may be the same on rock as well.

Good luck.
OP wilkesley 26 Aug 2017
In reply to TMM:

Thanks. I'll try some Speedcross 4's. Grip on wet rock would be nice to have, but I guess I'll just have to try them and see. I am currently suffering from a badly bruised big toe after sliding on my latest pair of Roclite 295. Something that I am fairly confident wouldn't have happened with my earlier 295, which had good grip of damp rock.
 SouthernSteve 26 Aug 2017
In reply to wilkesley:

I am a Speedcross fan, but try not to use them on the road very much as they wear really quickly. 300 miles into my current pair and I and through the yellow sole and onto the black. To be fair, I may not be the most delicate of runners!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...