Gas Stove on Aircraft

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ben_Climber 16 Aug 2017
I am off to the Dolomites at the end of the month and wanted to take my stove and gas with me.
After a little research the gas cartridge is a NO NO.

I am unsure about the stove though. I am flying with Monarch and as far as I can see it's not prohibited.

from their site:
"compressed gases (flammable, non-flammable and poisonous) e.g. butane, butane powered travel irons, camping or compressed gas cylinders, tear gas, mace or CS gas devices, butane powered gas curlers (prohibited unless a safety cover is supplied and is firmly in place) - separate re-fills are not allowed"

However I have read on a previous thread about them not being allowed unless new due to left over gas in the stove?

For reference I have a:
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/folding-stove-p153190

Ben
 tjin 16 Aug 2017
Liquid fuel stoves generally have a little fuel/vapor in the hoses and such, but with gas that really goes away quickly. In the end it really depends on the security person.
 marsbar 16 Aug 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Anyone with half a brain would know you can't get left over gas. However I believe there have been issues. Search of older threads may help.

Have you checked if you can get the right kind of gas canisters where you are going? Someplace it's easier to get the blue ones.
 planetmarshall 16 Aug 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Anecdotal only, but I've never had a problem taking stoves (sans fuel obviously), although they usually go in the hold. Personally I'd take a chance on anything either not specifically or obviously prohibited.
 Simon Caldwell 16 Aug 2017
In reply to planetmarshall:

Many years ago (1990s) I had an empty, washed stove confiscated on the basis that anything that had ever been in contact with fujel was liable to explode. It was in my hold luggage, and the decision was made by the airline not airport security. The agreed to fund the cost of a new stove because they had allowed me to take the same stove on my outward journey.

Since then I have never taken any stove abroad that contains a fuel reservoir, and stick to the burner-only sort of stove. It's not worth the risk of a messed up holiday.
 jkarran 16 Aug 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Open the valve once it's off the can to let any trapped gas out then stick it in your checked bag and forget about it, almost certain you'll have no problem.

The rules around used but clean empty fuel containers used to be pretty hopeless ('must have been chemically cleansed' or some such nonsense nobody understood). Basically not worth the effort arguing. Compressed flammable gas is quite reasonably a strict no no.
jk
 nniff 16 Aug 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

A gas stove is going with me this evening - the guidance is clear - no fuel, separately or residual on the stove. Petrol stoves have travelled with me many times on just such a basis. Usually wrapped in a towel or some such, and after sitting somewhere warm to shift any fuel. Fuel bottle rinsed and pump separated. In the hold.
OP Ben_Climber 16 Aug 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

It does not mention anything on the Monarch website about the burners so I think I will take the chance.
Once it is in the hold bag with all my rope and carabiners i'm sure it wont get noticed anyway...

OP Ben_Climber 16 Aug 2017
In reply to marsbar:

I should be able to get the gas while away. I'm staying in Cortina and there are plenty of outdoor shops there.
 Simon Caldwell 16 Aug 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

> Once it is in the hold bag with all my rope and carabiners i'm sure it wont get noticed anyway

As above, mine did once. Luckily on the way back home so I didn't have to waste holiday time finding a new stove.
 Welsh Kate 16 Aug 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:
I'd count myself as very unlucky if my gas burner got picked up and ejected from my hold luggage; Easyjet actually have instructions about liquid fuel stoves and (empty) fuel containers, and Wow whom I've recently flown with weren't the least bit bothered (if the Jetboil burner was even picked up in baggage security).

For anyone reading this who's heading to Iceland, we incidentally discovered that the OLIS garage in Keflavik town is the place to leave your half-empty gas canisters as you're on the way to the airport - there was metal shelving on the forecourt with a selection of canisters on them for picking up by incoming campers!
Post edited at 14:29

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...