Lightweight tent - doesn't have to be great quality

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
j99 03 Aug 2017
Hi, I am going with a friend to the USA later in the year. We plan to do a few nights backpacking in the desert so wanted to get a lightweight tent between us. Space and weight are more important than durability. Although I doubt anything could be less durable than my Terra Nova Voyager - ha ha. To put it in context, just a bit more space than the voyager would be good. Neither of us are skinny (or fat) and we're good friends but not that good

My chum spotted this one, any other suggestions would be great. It doesn't have to stand up to a Scottish or Lake District summer, just a bit of time in the desert and maybe a couple of nights in the Sierras.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074378QNH/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp_1?pf_rd_m=A3P5RO...
 routrax 03 Aug 2017
In reply to j99:

I've got a Nature Hike, the next model up I think.
They're surprisingly good for the money, mine had done 20+ trips with the only problem being a small hole in the inner netting, which can easily be fixed.

Really light and decent poles and fittings.

I did get stung for import duty though, as it came from China, which meant mine cost about £130 (via ebay).

The grey one seems to have a better waterproof rating for some reason, or at least it did when I bought mine.
 bouldery bits 03 Aug 2017
In reply to j99:

Grab something at the other end from Walmart?
 funkyvin1 03 Aug 2017
In reply to bouldery bits:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-3-tent-3-man-green-id_8322006.html

Just bought the 2 man version of this for my daughter and was quite impressed with it. Not the lightest, but cheap as chips, pretty easy/quick to pitch, good quality for the price (see reviews) and you can always split the weight with your friend with one taking the poles and the other the shell.
 Wee Davie 03 Aug 2017
In reply to j99:

I've camped in Joshua Tree. If the weather is favourable a tent outer will be surplus to requirements. Any 2 man tent inner will suffice. When it gets dark the sound of the coyotes howling is awesome- sounds like they're just outside the tent because the air is so clear up at that altitude.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...