tarf hotel- stalking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
planning a munro trip in october, and the two remote ones by the feith uaine bothy came to mind- but the web page for the bothy reminds me that early october is stalking season- is this likely to disrupt our plans..? do an sgarsoch and carn an fhidhleir get used for stalking?

cheers
gregor
 streapadair 24 Jul 2017
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

An Sgarsoch and Carn an Fhidhleir

Land in Upper Geldie catchment to north of ridge:
managed by National Trust for Scotland. No stalking
issues.

South of ridge (Glen Tarf): Atholl Estates. Stalking
between beginning of Aug and 20 Oct. No stalking
on Sundays. Recorded phone message: 01796481740.

If further information is needed, please e-mail pf@atholl-estates.co.uk or phone 01796
481355 (office hours only).

So sayeth http://outdooraccess-scotland.com/Practical-guide/public/heading-for-the-sc...
In reply to streapadair:

Thanks- though looks like a potential coupon buster after all.

It's a while since I've been up in the autumn- I'd forgotten all about stalking as a complicating factor when organising a trip!
 StuDoig 25 Jul 2017

It might not be a problem. Last time we were there in Autumn they had a map board up just before the lodge showing alternative routes up the munro behind the lodge and a note of where they were stalking so you could avoid, didn't prevent us getting to the bothy. A far better approach then the estates that try for blanket closures for stalking (who tend to get short shrift). Give them a call closer to the time and most likely be able to find out about access. Esp if walking in later on the Saturday and out on Sunday unlikely that it'll be a show stopper.

Alternatively cycle in from Linn of dee and walk over into the bothy from the North, largely avoiding the stalking areas since NTS doesn't stalk (by day anyway) and back the next day

Cheers,

Stu

As the MBA M/O for the Tarf bothy the Estate do not allow us access during the stalking for work party purposes but are happy for walkers to access the bothy.

Polly Freeman of Atholl Estates collates and advertises the stalking info for the boards at the estate, eg the Tilt car park and the stalking info number is updated daily during the stalking season to advise where the shoots are taking place and in what glens and areas.

The Estate if shooting in Glen Tarf may use the bothy for their guests but they do not stay over.

They are not too keen on unleased dogs also at this time.

BALD EAGLE 25 Jul 2017
> planning a munro trip in october, and the two remote ones by the feith uaine bothy came to mind- but the web page for the bothy reminds me that early october is stalking season- is this likely to disrupt our plans..? do an sgarsoch and carn an fhidhleir get used for stalking?

> cheers

> gregor

Hi Gregor

I had a lovely outing on those 2 remote hills a couple of weeks ago by cycling in from the Linn of Dee car park via the White Bridge on a pretty good track all the way to Geldie Lodge. I'm not much of a mountain biker but turned the whole trip around in 7 hours and only saw one person all day. If your approach from the South does not look possible this would make a great alternative!

Cheers

Dave
Post edited at 13:13
In reply to Everyone :

I missed these later replies- thanks for the advice,everyone. Ive thought about the MTB approach, but don't want to miss out on staying at the bothy... and we're stuck with a Saturday for climbing due to when people can take leave. Looks like our best bet is to leave it close to the time, and check the stalking plans for the day- but to have a plan B in case they're shooting on those hills that day

Cheers gregor

I've been looking at potential plan 'B's in case stalking disrupts the tarf hotel plan- Ben alder and Ben bheoil from the south, staying at benalder cottage bothy stands out as a good alternative. We can take our chance with the ghost... but does anyone have experience of whether stalking is an issue on that approach to the hill? the outdoor-access website doesn't have any information about this.

Cheers
Gregor
 UKC Forums 03 Aug 2017
This thread was started in the DESTINATIONS forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

HILLTALK
A general forum for topics relating to hillwalking. Discuss walks you have been on, great scrambles, the best ridges, Munro-bagging and longer multi-day walks.
More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/info/forums.html
Removed User 03 Aug 2017
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

thanks- found the benalder cottage page, there's a contact number for the estate,

cheers
gregor
 ScraggyGoat 03 Aug 2017

I believe the approach from the south crosses a differing estate to that which generously allows use of the bothy. Signs and path routing pre-land reform act on the southern side suggests this estate was at least then less 'enlightened' about access.

However the approach most of the way is on low level micro-hydro, forestry and land-drover track so shouldn't be an issue regarding stalking......please post if you receive advice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...