Fleas in my sleeping bag!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John123john 20 Jul 2017
Hi everyone. I have the sleeping bag. And recently, I found there fleas. I start to search some ways how to get rid them, so after few days of searching i make a list of mthods:
The first one is from https://stoppestinfo.com/150-best-ways-of-getting-rid-of-fleas.html - they are offer to use Hot Shot Bedbug and Flea Home Insect Killer.
The second one is from http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Fleas - they are offer use any spray.
And the third one is from https://www.thebalance.com/get-rid-of-fleas-in-the-house-1799049 - they are offer foggers.
So the main question, which way better to choose? Any one have suggestion?
 Timmd 20 Jul 2017
In reply to John123john:

I'd be tempted to try all three if that wouldn't cause any problems, and 'go to war' on them.

oldie 20 Jul 2017
In reply to John123john:
Fleas (all stages of life cycle) are killed by freezing. I'd suggest putting the sleeping bag in a freezer at as low temperature as possible for 3+ days. If you put the sleeping bag in a plastic bag first, and leave this on for a few hours after removing from the freezer, you will avoid dampness due to condensation of water vapour from the air.

Do it as soon as possible before you have fleas elsewhere. Sofas etc may not be so easy to put in the freezer and you'd have to use other methods
Post edited at 16:44
MrWayne 20 Jul 2017
In reply to John123john:

Man up and sleep in it.
 johncook 20 Jul 2017
In reply to oldie:

This doesn't work with cats!
 FactorXXX 20 Jul 2017
In reply to johncook:

This doesn't work with cats!

Oh yes it does!
In reply to johncook:
Although it's one recommended method of killing things like adult fleas and house dust mites on bedding/toys etc, I'm not completely certain you could 100% rely on it killing flea eggs or larvae - during a wildlife crime investigation I've had maggots come back to life after being on a carcass in a freezer for a week!

Best option (if you really need stuff to kill fleas on a sleeping bag) is to speak to your vet.
The fleas must have come from somewhere - they don't miraculously appear in a sleeping bag - so the chances are your dog or cat needs treatment and the veterinary products are far better than Over The Counter ones. Your vet will also have products suitable for treating furniture etc, which could be used on the sleeping bag (though I'd wash/rinse it thoroughly afterwards too).

In any case that's a safer option than clicking links in a web post by someone with dodgy English that's only registered 5 minutes before......
Post edited at 17:16
 Andypeak 20 Jul 2017
In reply to John123john:

In a hostel I used to work at in south Africa they would kill bed bugs in duvets etc but putting them in a black bin linear and leaving it in the sun for a day. Might work with fleas if we get a really hot day.
 John Kelly 20 Jul 2017
In reply to John123john:

Hot tumble drier
ceri 20 Jul 2017
In reply to John123john:

Thing is that an effective flea spray containing petmethrin and other chemicals isn't the nicest thing to be putting into your bed. Also, if the eggs /fleas are inside rather than on the surface it may not get them. For pets, it's recommended to wash the bedding at 60c, so washing and tumbledrying the sleeping bag may help a lot. As others have said: where did the fleas come from? Your house or elsewhere? You may now need to treat cupboard and house to get rid of the escapees...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...