Mystery Hand Injury.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mark Sheridan 11 Jul 2017
I was out climbing last Thursday evening, on a route, using a high, slightly baggy jam with my left hand when I heard a definite cracking/snapping sound which was accompanied by a sharp pain. I shook it off/ignored it and carried on for a bit, but I am now a bit worried as to what I might have done.
The cracking/snapping sound came from the back of my hand and I can isolate the pain to mostly the middle finger's route back towards my wrist. It looks like there might be some vague swelling on the lower left of the back of my hand and there is pain/weakness if I lift things in a certain way.
It seemed a really innocuous way of causing an injury, but I am now worried it might be more serious than I thought. Anyone have any idea what I might have done?
 jondo 11 Jul 2017
In reply to Mark Sheridan:

You might have torn a pulley or tendon.. Though those usually manifest in the fingers. The snapping sound reminded me of a pulley being torn.

OP Mark Sheridan 11 Jul 2017
In reply to jondo:

Thanks for that, but it was definitely in the back of my hand and not a finger.
 tom 11 Jul 2017

Could just be a tendon/ ligament slipping. My ring finger often makes a popping noise when extending, I have been told (by a number of Physios) this is simply the collateral ligament slipping about. Best get it checked though.
OP Mark Sheridan 12 Jul 2017
In reply to tom:

Thanks for thoughts Tom (and bump????).
Removed User 12 Jul 2017

> It seemed a really innocuous way of causing an injury, but I am now worried it might be more serious than I thought. Anyone have any idea what I might have done?

Yes, what you did is 'asking for a medical diagnosis on the internet rather than seeing your GP'.
 WaterMonkey 12 Jul 2017
In reply to Removed UserFuchs:

> Yes, what you did is 'asking for a medical diagnosis on the internet rather than seeing your GP'.

You don't have to wait 2 weeks on the internet
 Dave the Rave 12 Jul 2017
In reply to WaterMonkey:

Can you straighten fully all of your fingers?
Removed User 12 Jul 2017
In reply to WaterMonkey:

> You don't have to wait 2 weeks on the internet

Don't know about other GPs, but if I rock up at mine in the morning just after they open, I get an appointment the same morning/day.
 WaterMonkey 12 Jul 2017
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> Can you straighten fully all of your fingers?

Yes I can. But then I'm not the one who hurt themselves!
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Despite the confusion about who's fingers can be straightened, yes mine are fine for fully straightening!
In reply to Removed UserFuchs:

No, what I was actually doing was asking a community of climbers, people who are more than averagely subject to finger/hand injuries, for some possible opinions as to what might have happened. It's quite possible that someone has had an identical problem and can point me in the right direction.GPs have a very 'general' knowledge of things and sometimes someone who has had a specific injury might know more than a GP in certain situations. Rocking up to my GPs surgery looking for an emergency appointment would seem to me to be pretty selfish at this stage. But thanks for taking the time to be such a helpful soul...
 Dave the Rave 12 Jul 2017

Can you straighten them fully, with your wrist extended too, against light resistance of the other hand?
 Matt Vigg 12 Jul 2017

Talk to an expert who can see your hand, it really doesn't make sense to ask here.

Yours,

An oft injured man.
 alx 12 Jul 2017
In reply to Matt Vigg:

What and denie us the enjoyment of wild speculation?

All roads lead to Rome with hand injuries, what good is knowing what you have done if all treatment options tend to be the same.
Rest, ice, progressive gentle exercises once the swelling goes down. 6 weeks to 3 months recovery depending on severity which is subjective and can't be determined from a scan, and of course avoid spicy and fatty foods.
 Matt Vigg 12 Jul 2017
In reply to alx:

Well to be fair I've asked on here myself before but that means I've also learnt that the collective guesses of random people who happen to bother to reply are rarely as good as a trained pro and sometimes a lot worse.

I've also been spoiled by the German "let's do another two MRIs just to be sure" health system. As I'm about to come back to the UK I need to get used to the NHS approach of giving you a referral to see a doctor in six months time who can give you a referral to a different doctor who might know something about your injury. Expect me back on here next time I'm injured, I'll probably have lots of questions.
 alx 12 Jul 2017
In reply to Matt Vigg:

Out of curiosity were the pro's treatment options much different from my previous post?

With regards to your expectations of the NHS you will be pleasantly surprised, they are good you just need to align your expectations with who your dealing with. A GP is not going to how to diagnose a torn A2 or C1 pulley, but if you explained the problem, ask for a referral straight up then your most likely going to get one. Tendons/pulleys shouldn't go bang...

If you live in Sheffield then they have a leading hand clinic over in the Northern General Hospital, their referral system for other types of scans is pretty dam quick.
 Matt Vigg 12 Jul 2017
In reply to alx:

Well as far as my finger injuries are concerned, yeah that's pretty much what I've done, but I've never (yet) had a really bad finger injury - you can sometimes need surgery right? Now when it comes to elbows, shoulders and knees I've had surgery twice, should probably have had it another time (or at least been given the option) and for the shoulder didn't need it after various docs had a good look at two different MRIs.

I suppose I'm suggesting the doc route also because personally, when I've had a proper diagnosis that's always the first step to feeling better about the injury. I always find it nasty not knowing for sure what I've done.

Good to hear that about the NHS, I've heard some horror stories from friends. Not that it matters for me actually, as I've decided to give up injuries, I've had more than enough.
In reply to Matt Vigg:
Although anything especially useful to me has not been abundant, the previous posts have been comically entertaining. Cheers guys!!!
Post edited at 22:31

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...