Recommend Aid Training Venue (Yorkshire/The North)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Takein 05 Jul 2017
Went aiding at Kilnsey t'other day. Not ideal as you kinda get in sport climbers way (until you get to the roof!) but I'm looking for some vertical/slightly overhanging venue for aid practice.

Any recommendations that might be better? Perhaps somewhere with a similar setup (decent height wall with good anchors) but not as popular as Kilnsey? Is Malham any better/worse?
 petegunn 06 Jul 2017
In reply to Takein:
If your ever in the Peak, Dovedale has a couple of excellent aid routes climbing out of the caves although quite short at 20m
The Bat (A1)

Much bigger, 60m is Thor's Cave
Kyrie Eleison (A1)

Hollywood Bowl gets A2 Giggleswick
Dib Scar also has an A2 I think.

Dont tell anyone but Hell's Wall, Bowderstone crag sees quite a few aided ascents
Post edited at 00:21
OP Takein 06 Jul 2017
In reply to petegunn:

Nice one, thanks Pete.

Before taking the drive down there do you happen to know if any of these routes have low-to-the-ground first bolts or ground anchors nearby (trees etc) that would make suitable anchors for for rope-soloing?
 spenser 06 Jul 2017
In reply to Takein:

From what I remember on the bat the first bolt was 2m or so up the route. Don't think there was anything at floor height, although you might be able to get a thread off to one side.
 Peter Rhodes 06 Jul 2017
In reply to Takein:

You can solo Kyrie Elison using the first few bolts/threads as the anchor, in-fact it makes it easier as no rope drag.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...