OS Maps / Viewranger

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
womblingfree 06 Apr 2017
So I understand that OS Maps now come with a free download, and that you need to download the OS Map befor you can access it..

Does that mean i can access then access the OS Map in Viewranger, or would i still need to pay for the map/tiles on Viewranger? If I cant use the free OS Map in Viewranger whats the OS App like, does it offer similar functions, i.e. route planning, tracking etc

Thanks
 Glyno 06 Apr 2017
In reply to womblingfree:

I'm 99% sure you can't import maps into Viewranger that aren't supplied by (or bought from) Viewranger.
womblingfree 06 Apr 2017
In reply to Glyno:

Yup, shame that! I've just bought the tiles I need. Will give the OS App a go next week when I'm out and about. Might get someone else to downoad it so I dont have two GPS apps rinsing my battery
 Only a hill 06 Apr 2017

Unfortunately, the OS app is utterly dire – borderline unusable. ViewRanger's app is far better, but as already stated, you can't access maps downloaded from the OS in ViewRanger. It's a messy picture!
 Rob Naylor 07 Apr 2017
In reply to Only a hill:

Agree, the OS offering is hopeless....can't believe that the official mapping authority turned out such a crap product. They must have had to work really hard to ensure it was so inadequate.
 Glyno 07 Apr 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

> Agree, the OS offering is hopeless....can't believe that the official mapping authority turned out such a crap product. They must have had to work really hard to ensure it was so inadequate.

maybe they don't want people to stop buying their paper maps?
 Only a hill 09 Apr 2017
In reply to Glyno:

The Ordnance Survey couldn't organise a pissup in a brewery. ViewRanger have been eating their lunch for years when it comes to digital mapping and they have done sod all to stop them.

Unfortunately, ViewRanger just released an update that has ruined the app for me (they're turning it into a social network). I think it's back to map, compass and my Garmin...
 Glyno 09 Apr 2017
In reply to Only a hill:

Viewranger is brilliant for locating your position and recording/archiving tracks. However, I fail to see any benefit of the 'skyline' update other than a gimmicky ploy to get users to post their rubbish screenshots on soshal meeja.
 Adam Long 10 Apr 2017

I find the OS map perfectly usable for navigation, although I'm not a big recorder of routes. I much prefer the clean display and lack of cruft to Viewranger, which I haven't used since getting the OS app. Development appears to be ongoing - the 3d display they added to the web app last week is very good.

Worth noting that if you can pay with Tesco clubcard points annual OS sub is only £8.
 Glyno 10 Apr 2017
In reply to Adam Long:

I took advantage (via Mrs Glyno) of the Tesco Clubcard offer for the subscription also

My main gripe with the OS maps app concerns printing. If printing the map to scale, the border is unnecessarily wide. My calculations revealed that the viewable area of printed map takes up LESS than 75% of an A4 sheet.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...