SITE CHANGES: UKC & UKH is on a new server

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
UKC and UKH switched to a new server around 10pm on 1st April.

There's been quite a lot changes under the hood but you shouldn't notice anything new bar a speed improvement with the page load times.

If you spot anything you think is broke then please send a bug report: https://www.ukclimbing.com/general/email.php#fault

Thanks, Paul.
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Can no longer access UKC at work ????
Get an error message saying to turn on TLS 1.0, 1.1 & 1.2 and try again, but i have no access to settings.
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

I've responded to your email.

Your system must be pretty old if it doesn't support TLS 1.0 by the way, it was brought in in 1999.
Post edited at 12:24

Working fine now.
 ripper 02 Apr 2017

I can't log in from my laptop - it's saying username and/or password are wrong. They can't be wrong, as they're saved and worked fine previously (but I've tried retyping anyway, with no joy). Can get on OK via my phone tho. Laptop is a fairly new one, windows 10/Microsoft Edge
 alx 02 Apr 2017

That makes sense! I posted comments on the forum last night that disappeared and reappeared several times. They are all now present and accounted for.
In reply to ripper:

There was a few issues with passwords not being recognised after the initial switch but i thought I'd sorted that this morning. I'll have a look through the server logs and get to the bottom of it.

Cheers, Paul.
 conorcussell 02 Apr 2017

Tried to report an error (missing characters in titles of all the routes e.g. Médecine Douce (6c+)) and noticed an error message on the success page. Trying to insert something with a db user without write permissions i guess?

"INSERT command denied to user ukclimbing_read@localhost for table msg_rate"
In reply to conorcussell:

Thanks, fixed the titles and I'll sort that db error.

Cheers, Paul.
 Chris the Tall 04 Apr 2017

The photo app doesn't appear to be working - only 2 or 3 of the pictures are shown, the other are just black. Same on the UKH pics. Pretty sure it was working last week, or the week before. It may be that the only pics I can see are those that were in the top ten when I last ran it.

Another possible explanation is that I'm using a very old iPad
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> The photo app doesn't appear to be working - only 2 or 3 of the pictures are shown, the other are just black. Same on the UKH pics. Pretty sure it was working last week, or the week before. It may be that the only pics I can see are those that were in the top ten when I last ran it.Another possible explanation is that I'm using a very old iPad

Sorry Chris but you are going to have to abandon that one. We withdrew it from availability two years ago and haven't actually done any development on it for four years. It is incorporated in the Rockfax App now, although presumably your iPad is too old for that.

Alan
In reply to ripper:

Hiya, I suspect your phone was already logged in from before the move and since the cookies matched the login saved in the database the login was still valid.

The bug with the login password authentication is fixed now.
 Mark Kemball 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

> Get an error message saying to turn on TLS 1.0, 1.1 & 1.2 and try again, but i have no access to settings.

I had that on Saturday evening, while using an hotel wifi with my laptop. Came home, Sunday evening, it was fine.
 ripper 04 Apr 2017

Thanks Paul, yep working fine now
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

No, I have the rockfax app, but hadn't noticed this feature. Have to say I liked the simplicity and clutter-free nature of the photos app
In reply to Mark Kemball:

> I had that on Saturday evening, while using an hotel wifi with my laptop. Came home, Sunday evening, it was fine.

That sounds like the hotel WiFi is doing something a bit dodgy to be honest. It's blocking TLS and forcing you to use SSLv3 for the HTTPS connection which isn't secure. It's an ancient protocol that's been broken for a long time.

Adam Long 04 Apr 2017

I can't upload photos or start threads, get an error saying 'your email address is missing an '@' character'.
 Mark Kemball 04 Apr 2017

Possible, but UKC was fine on the same wifi on the Friday night...
 Samuel Palmer 04 Apr 2017

I uploaded some new routes to the database and my logbook, the names have disappeared.
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

The Rockfax app crashes on my iPad.

Yep, time for a new IPad I think
In reply to Adam Long:

Have you tried logging out and back in again?
In reply to Mark Kemball:

Friday night was on the old server that supported the (insecure) SSLv3 HTTPS connection.

I enabled that protocol again on the new server to help a couple of users that had problems connecting but I'd prefer not to keep in that way in the long term.

In the situation you mentioned at the hotel where the local WiFi was didn't allow TLS HTTPS connections. A hacker could easily decode everything sent back and forth to a website.
In reply to Samuel Palmer:

> I uploaded some new routes to the database and my logbook, the names have disappeared.

I think I know what's broke their. I'll have that fixed this morning.

Mike-W-99 05 Apr 2017

Not too sure if its the new site or something else but your advert block checker is throwing up a lot of false positives here (chrome with ad-block installed but disabled)
In reply to Mike-W-99:

Hmm, works OK here. Same setup. Is it on all the ads?
 Mike-W-99 05 Apr 2017

Unfortunately it's very random. I'll see if any sort of pattern emerges.
A refresh sorts it out.
In reply to Mike-W-99:

Might be just the one ad that failed to copy over. I'll look through the logs and try and find it.
 jon 05 Apr 2017
The little cross at the top right of the photo thumbnails is missing which means you can't view the actual thumbnail at full size.

Edit: Err, it seems to have come back!
Post edited at 11:13
 Simon Caldwell 05 Apr 2017
In reply to Mike-W-99:

> Not too sure if its the new site or something else but your advert block checker is throwing up a lot of false positives here (chrome with ad-block installed but disabled)

I get that sometimes as well, with the same resolution (F5). But it started happening some time ago, long before the recent changes.
 Andy Johnson 06 Apr 2017

I've had a few 502 Bad Gateway errors while browsing UKC over the last few days. Maybe one or two a day, and they always went away when I clicked the back button and clicked the link again. I'll send a bug report too.
 Mike-W-99 06 Apr 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

I had some time to look at it tonight. Isolated the ads which were causing the problems and told ad-block to ignore that site too (ukc2.com). So possible ad-block rather than ukc issue as other ads on that domain seemed fine.
 Graeme Hammond 06 Apr 2017

not sure if related but when i use and apostrophe in the my log book it comes up as the following random code: '
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

I'm not sure that is related but I'll sort it out. Thanks for reporting it.
 Adam Long 07 Apr 2017

Repeatedly, on all devices. Cleared history, cookies etc, rebooted browser and OS.
In reply to Adam Long:

Hmm, kinda weird. I just tried switching to your profile and could start a new post OK. I'll have a dig through the code responsible next week and get it to send me some more info when the error occurs.
 Graeme Hammond 09 Apr 2017

similar to above, the following article has lots of random code? in the text at least on my browser:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=9097#1
 Lemony 09 Apr 2017
This has probably already been mentioned but there seems to be some escape character nonsense going on with links. they're parsing as "slash'[intended href]slash'"
Post edited at 23:07
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

I sorted this out yesterday.
In reply to Lemony:

This was sorted out yesterday.
 Adam Long 28 May 2017

I still can't upload photos - "Your email address field is missing an '@' character" . It isn't.
 Fakey Rocks 30 May 2017
I use my phone alot for Web, with ukc i recently had a lot of adverts seem to knock out my onscreen keyboard so i click their link? which then starts loading a blank advert?
For at least 6 months i get told by ukc my device (android phone) is being used to send spam so i am blocked + can't log in at first attempt / password not recognised but 2nd attempt usually works, even when right 1st time.
Post edited at 15:11
In reply to Rock to Fakey:

Are you sure you haven't got some malware on the phone? We really don't have that many ads compared to other sites, especially when a mobile device is detected. For example: There's only 2 ads if you're viewing this thread on a phone.

We also don't sell ads out to 3rd party ad schemes so if an ad looks particular trashy or isn't related to an outdoor company it won't have come from UKC/UKH and I'd definitely get your phone looked at.

The fact that your phone's IP address keeps triggering the anti-SPAM checks also seems a little odd.
In reply to Adam Long:

Hi Adam

Sorry, I've had a look at this issue before and couldn't replicate it. We also get loads of photos uploaded each day and no-one else gets this error. Even when I switch to your profile and try to upload a photo it works straight away.

If you're on the photo upload page try pressing Ctrl+F5 (on PC) or Shift+Cmd+R (on Mac) to force refresh the page and make sure you're using the version of the page.

Hope that helps.
 Adam Long 30 May 2017

Ok, thanks. Tried that in usual browser (firefox), no change. Tried switching to Chrome and it worked, so must be a browser issue.
In reply to Rock to Fakey:

Just saw this on the BBC and thought it might be linked to your problem.

Millions of Android phones hit by 'Judy' malware - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40092540

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...