NEWS: Jim Mann Breaks Winter Ramsay Round Record

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH News 25 Jan 2017
Jim Mann at the finish, 4 kbOn Sunday 22nd Jan, Durham-based runner Jim Mann completed the Ramsay Round in a time of 22hrs23min, a new winter record for the round of 24 Lochaber Munros.

Read more
GaryT 25 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC/UKH News:

Nice understated work Jim Mann! + supporters.
 petestack 25 Jan 2017

Nice work by Jim and his team!

Also thanks to Dan for the report and Shane for the sensible comment. While we now (since December) know Charlie's sole criterion to be date and not the dual criteria of date and conditions many of us previously believed (and still prefer to see), the issue is not the conditions faced on the three sub-24 'winter' rounds (which were *all* fine achievements) but how they've been presented and the claims made for them. So, yes, we can accept that going by the strictly objective criterion of date removes the arguable 'was it in?', but we still want to know what it was really like out there.
GaryT 26 Jan 2017
I think that another interesting point worth presenting upfront with news pieces, is whether the runner was Supported (this is normally very evident, and never withheld - story and images etc) or Solo Unsupported (which might present some validation method by the completer), or indeed, a Pair (+ etc) unsupported (I don't think Pair has been attempted). Solo Unsupported is a more committing venture, and causes a broader range in the scale of successfail than the weather/conditions might, due to the greater need for care with hydration, nutrition, navigation, morale, potentially anxiety management and the significantly heavier weight of the rucksack, and less available contingencies. It's all uber-niche though. I think that there has only been 7 completions since Glyn Jones in 2002. Up for grabs is a sub-24hr Solo Unsupported. (Jon Gay had a food/eqpt stash ?meeting? - though his completion is by far the fastest Solo effort, and in very Winter conditions).
Post edited at 10:44
tobias 26 Jan 2017

Good effort!
 Sean Kelly 26 Jan 2017

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...