RESULT for LYON - broken Myo XP headtorch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Hood 09 Jan 2017
Following on from a thread I started last year (now archived)...
http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?n=650272

Here's what's happened since then...
1. Phoned Lyon - explained the situation - standard Myo fault - >3 years old - sorry can't help.
2. Phoned Cotswold (where I bought it many years ago) - as above - sorry can't help, try Lyon.
3. Went onto the Petzl website - sent them an e-mail explaining the situation.
4. Got an e-mail from Lyon - we're the UK distributor etc. Can you send us a photo of the headtorch and tell us the year of manufacture (little date wheel on the plastic).
5. I send photo and date (08 and arrow ->4; presumably April 2008).
6. I get another e-mail from Lyon - "It is outside of warranty but due to its good condition we will take a look as a gesture of good will." - please send it to us but you'll have to cover postage to us.
7. I send the headtorch to Lyon before xmas.
8. Today I get a Parcelforce package, new Myo.

RESULT - all I can say is THANK YOU VERY MUCH LYON EQUIPMENT - what good customer service
 poppydog 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Michael Hood:

Great outcome. I should've done the same, I guess, I'm now on my third: first developed a glitch in the wiring after about a year (the one I should've contacted Lyon about); second is probably on a rock somewhere around Millstone and my third broke a clip putting the top strap on. Emailed Lyon and new clip in the post pronto - only a cheap clip, but service was great.
 Andrew Wilson 09 Jan 2017
I sent mine to Lyon with a plea for help but they sent it back and said it was too old. It was no older than yours. Some you win.
I buy Fenix torches now.

Andy.
 deepsoup 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Andrew Wilson:
> I sent mine to Lyon with a plea for help but they sent it back and said it was too old. It was no older than yours. Some you win.

Same here. You must sound particularly nice on the phone Michael.

Edit to add:
No more Petzl head torch for me either, I now have an LED Lenser that I bought second hand from someone on here.
I accidentally put it through the wash the other night - came home sopping wet, stripped off and dumped everything straight in the machine without thinking. I must have scooped it up inside my Buff. Only realised when I came to get the washing out to find it had switched itself on and was shining out through the washing machine door! The strap is now nice and clean and it doesn't seem to have harmed it at all - I won't be pushing my luck by trying it again though.
Post edited at 22:13
OP Michael Hood 10 Jan 2017
In reply to deepsoup: All done by e-mail but the "ok" route started by e-mailing Petzl with a "can it be repaired or anything done" plea.

Also possibly my result was because mine was in very good condition as it hadn't been used that much - mainly night time orienteering (the activity that makes daytime orienteering seem sane ).

TonyM 10 Jan 2017

I has a similarly excellent experience with Lyon equipment on precisely the same issue. My Myo headlamp was also out of warranty, but also in very good condition (and I had an email showing that I'd actually purchased it much closer to the warranty period - old stock!).

They similarly replaced it new for old. I was chuffed to bits! Thank you Lyon
 deepsoup 10 Jan 2017
Maybe it was going via Petzl rather than to Lyon directly, or maybe you were just lucky.

My Myo is in very good condition too, apart from the fact that it doesn't work obviously.

I'm reasonably handy with a soldering iron, and have been meaning to open it up and re-terminate the cable myself - it looks like it'd be fiddly but not that hard. But to be honest I'm finding my Seo7R so much better than the Myo XP ever was anyway that I might just never get around to it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...