Jottnar Neoshell jacket differenes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ElBarto 05 Jan 2017
Hello,

I'm looking at purchasing a Jottnar Neoshell jacket and wanted to check that I'm understanding the differences between the three of them correctly before making a purchase.

The Hymir packs down the smallest & is the lightest, I'm assuming the breathability & protection isn't reduced in because of this? It just won't be as durable I assume.

The Bergelmir is the most durable of the three but I assume this means there's more fabric? Would this hinder the breathability?

The Asmund is in the middle of the two other jackets. If I understand it right the advantage of this is that it's cheaper & lighter than the Bergelmir but less durable?

I did email these questions to Jottnar but didn't get a response so I thought I'd try here.
 ankyo 05 Jan 2017
In reply to ElBarto:

I have the Hymir and the Bergelmir. I would say the Bergelmir offers better protection. The Hymir is really light and great but I think if I was setting out in minging weather I would probably go for the Bergelmir. Both are fantastic jackets. If I was thrutching up winter chimneys I'd go for the Hymir. When I'm out in summer I usually take the Hymir.

I don't have the Asmund. As I understand it its the Hymir with a zip? But I'm guessing, not speaking from experience.

Hope this helps
OP ElBarto 05 Jan 2017
In reply to ankyo:
Thanks for the reply, its been helpful. Just to check though when you said "If I was thrutching up winter chimneys I'd go for the Hymir," did you mean Bergelmir?
Post edited at 17:24
 TobyA 05 Jan 2017
In reply to ElBarto:

Reviewed all three and basically agree with what you are suggesting. The Bergelmir is a lot more meaty than the Hymir!
OP ElBarto 05 Jan 2017
In reply to TobyA:

Thanks for the reply would you say the Bergelmir is any less breathable than the Asmund?
 TobyA 05 Jan 2017
In reply to ElBarto:

Not that I have noticed. The thinner ones might feel a little bit less wind resistant, but all neoshell is like that it seems, it's not a huge issue.
OP ElBarto 05 Jan 2017
In reply to TobyA:
Thanks a lot for the input, it has been really helpful.
Post edited at 20:48
 ankyo 06 Jan 2017
In reply to ElBarto:

Sorry yes, I absolutely meant Bergelmir
 Tricadam 07 Jan 2017
In reply to ElBarto:

> I did email these questions to Jottnar but didn't get a response so I thought I'd try here.

Not a good sign - especially at the price they charge! Perhaps you emailed them in Norwegian?
James Jackson 07 Jan 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

I had a very swift reply from them a few weeks ago. Great kit!
 TobyA 07 Jan 2017
In reply to James Jackson:

Yep, not sure what email they use for queries, but I always have had prompt replies from Tommy one of the co-founders when I was discussing things with them re: reviews here on UKC and one article I wrote about the company. ElBarto, hopefully they'll get back to you soon but they are a tiny company - just a handful of people - could it just have been the holidays or something? Hope my brief replies above might help you anyway, worth noting if you read my reviews of the three jackets, that Jöttnar seem very good at following up on feedback. I wasn't the only reviewer to note last year that the Asmund seemed a bit baggy for its size - so sure enough, this winter they say they've improved the fit. It's a nice jacket, so slimmed down a bit I'm sure its great.
OP ElBarto 08 Jan 2017
Thanks for the info on their customer service, I've always thought they were good from what I've heard from friends and on here so was surprised I didn't get a response. It was around Christmas time I sent them the message so it could have just got missed as they're a small company, I might try emailing them again but I think I've probably got what I need to know from the replies on here.
OP ElBarto 10 Jan 2017
In reply to ElBarto:

Just to follow up on this I've gotten a response from Jottnar now to my original email, it appears it ended up in their spam folder so wasn't spotted until now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...