Approach shoes which can be resoled - Meindl/Ecco/others ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 03 Jan 2017

Finding that I wear through trainers at a rate of knots, I'm thinking some approach shoes which are can hopefully be resoled might be a good idea.

Has anybody done this, and what shoes did they have resoled, has anybody had success with Meindl and Ecco (which are ones I know fit my feet well).

Thanks.
Tim
 John Kelly 04 Jan 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Scarpa zen and Tennies - resole is probably not practical, uppers and insoles are generally hammered at same time as soles are worn out - they are generally a pretty well balanced product.
 spenser 04 Jan 2017
In reply to John Kelly:

I've been really unimpressed with the guide tennies I've had in terms of durability, I've worn holes in the side around where my little toe is within about 9 months of buying them on two separate pairs. If you haven't destroyed the uppers you should be able to get tennies resoled quite easily.
nikkormat 04 Jan 2017
In reply to Timmd:

I have had Millet Friction resoled successfully.
 John Kelly 04 Jan 2017
In reply to spenser:

My tennies experience is dated, 10 years ago, scarpa zens are hardworking, 9 months doesn't sound too bad
In reply to Timmd:

Zen's are burly and resolable. I'm on my third pair, and besides approach I use them as my everyday shoes. Usually I have the heel on them resoled after a year or two as this is how I wear them.

Ecco's are nothing of the above. Too bad they are rubbish as they fit me well.
OP Timmd 04 Jan 2017
In reply to Stefan Jacobsen:
Cool, that's better than destroyed trainers after 9 months of everyday wear. I seem to becoming 'middle aged' in thinking about what is durable and can resoled rather than what looks coolest.

I guess that's what happens when it's your own money rather than your parents'...
Post edited at 14:15
 payney1973 04 Jan 2017
In reply to Timmd:
Im a big fan of boulder x but theyre becoming scarce, how com the average price for any style of approachies is in and around £130, its becoming outrageous!
OP Timmd 04 Jan 2017
In reply to payney1973:

That's what I was wondering. I wonder if it's to do with the weaker pound? It'd make a worrying sort of sense.
 spenser 04 Jan 2017
In reply to payney1973:

Take a look in Decathlon if you feel poor looking at approach shoes, they're more around the £50 mark.
I was wearing the tennies daily when they lasted 9 months. I had a pair of Scarpas which lasted just over a year before the holes got too big and my toes poked out of the sides, pretty much daily wear too.
 pencilled in 04 Jan 2017
In reply to Timmd: I had some La Sportiva Cirque Pros about ten years ago; they lasted really well and took loads of abuse. In hindsight I think these could be worth a look if they still make them. They weren't very sticky though, but I suppose you could resolve the, with stealth or something.

OP Timmd 04 Jan 2017
In reply to pencilled in:

I'm just after everyday foot ware which doesn't wear out too quickly really, rather than something stick.
 pencilled in 04 Jan 2017
In reply to Timmd:
In that case they could be a good option. I have bumped into someone who's pair had not done so well, but mine went to Yosemite twice for a month, plus around three years of dry UK cragging in between. They were not waterproof.

I have just searched however and found them only available abroad, which sucks frankly. They did that with the testa rossas a while back - I have no idea why. Sorry for wasting your time.

As it happens I've just got a pair of five ten access. They really don't look very hard wearing. Think I'll save them for lower grade climbing.
 proandras 06 Jan 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Hanwag offers approach shoes and resoling service as well. Their Approach GTX is rather a light trekikng shoe with climbing skills than the other way.

However, as I know, the sole of trekking and climbing shoes or boots are not invented for daily use on paved road. Their advanced grip made them softer than a normal city shoe sole.
 thlcr1 06 Jan 2017
In reply to Timmd:
I've got some Scarpa Zodiac which look like they would be very easy to resole and robust enough that the uppers would survive. Might not be everyone cup of tea though. Think shoe height B2's and you wouldn't be a million miles out . I quite like them for scrambling as long as its mainly positive holds

Lee
Post edited at 15:28
OP Timmd 06 Jan 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Has anybody used VAUDE - Dibona Advanced approach shoes at all?

It seems finding something I like the look of is more important than I'd like to admit.

Ta for all the suggestions etc. Most helpful.

OP Timmd 06 Jan 2017
In reply to proandras:

Ace! Was wondering about Hanwag.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...