Which Outdoor First Aid Course

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pqhf5kd 11 Jul 2016
I'm looking to take a outdoors based first aid course but unsure what sort.
I see iTC mentioned often, but even they run two different ones: 2-day Outdoor First Aid Qualification - SQA Scotland or Ofqual England & Wales.

I've also seen REC mentioned, is that different to OFA?

robhorton 11 Jul 2016
In reply to Pqhf5kd:

I'd just pick one at a convenient time/location if I were you. There are some slight differences but the content is all much the same and they're all accepted by the NGBs.
 StuDoig 11 Jul 2016
In reply to Pqhf5kd:
if you're a member, the MCofS run accredited 1st aid courses that are really good (and great value!). BASP and other courses run at Glenmore lodge are also excellent (as is the location) with 1st rate instructors. No sure if either are convenient for you though, or exactly what you're looking for the qualification for?

Cheers!

Stu
OP Pqhf5kd 11 Jul 2016
In reply to Pqhf5kd:

I'm on the South Coast, seems like there's less down here.
I'm more confused about what course to take rather than finding a provider.

Currently I spend more time reading about the outdoors than actually getting out there.
Did Snowdon and another night wild camping in Snowdia 2 years back.
Several mountains and numerous trails while in Europe for 6 months last year.
Off to Scotland, including Ben Nevis, for a week in August.

So it's really for personal use and as an interest for now, but it may also be the first step into moving into an outdoor career (very broad I know)
Hillwalker 11 Jul 2016
In reply to Pqhf5kd: The Scottish Level 5 SQA Outdoor First Aid course is identical to English Level 3 QCA, and both are Ofqual Awards, and both recognised right across the UK.

Up until last year there was only the SQA Qualification with no English equivalent. (The English QCA thought an Activity First Aid course covering conventional sports would suffice, didn't recognise that in the outdoors an ambulance may not be ten minutes away!)

The ITC courses are probably the Gold Standard for the Outdoor Industry. I believe the REC courses are very similar but have no formal external accreditation on a qualifications framework.
Bingers 11 Jul 2016
In reply to Pqhf5kd:

> I see iTC mentioned often, but even they run two different ones: 2-day Outdoor First Aid Qualification - SQA Scotland or Ofqual England & Wales.

Both are regulated qualifications - SQA are the Scottish regulators, Ofqual are the English regulators (Qualifications Wales are very similar to Ofqual). The content is very similar for both qualifications and both are valid across the UK. They also both meet the Institute of Outdoor Learning's Statement of Good Practice for Outdoor First Aid:
http://www.outdoor-learning.org/Default.aspx?tabid=346

ITC Centres run courses across the UK, see:
http://www.itcfirst.org.uk/courses.htm - the new website
http://www.itcfirstaid.org.uk/courses.asp?category=2 - the old website.

Apologies for having two websites, some Centres have already moved to the new one, whilst others are still transferring. All will have moved over by the end of September.

As for REC, just to add to your confusion, there are two different organisations called REC. I'll leave it to them to explain the differences between them.
OP Pqhf5kd 12 Jul 2016
In reply to Bingers:

Thank you! Very helpful.
Do you know anything about international recognition?
Bingers 13 Jul 2016
In reply to Pqhf5kd:

There is very little international co-operation in what is allowed across the board, so it is generally a case by case judgement by the people who need to show compliance. What helps is to have a regulated qualification as it will always be to set published standards and is backed up by formally regulated quality assurance. Not every first aid course let alone outdoor first aid course can point to this.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...