PRODUCT NEWS: New Outdoor Research Men and Women's Diode Jacket™

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 28 Dec 2015
OR - Diode Header, 4 kb

The unique PrimaLoft® Gold Insulation Down Blend of the Diode Hooded Jacket packs the best attributes of each material into one weather-resistant and highly compressible insulation. 

Read more
 deepsoup 28 Dec 2015
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:
> Outdoor Research® is Designed by Adventure®. We provide Innovation and Inspiration for the Relentless Adventurer. Based in Seattle, Outdoor Research was founded in 1981. We are dedicated to building technically innovative, state-of-the-art clothing, headwear, gloves, gaiters, packing systems and shelters informed by real-world testing. All of our products are backed by the Infinite Guarantee®.

Possible late contender for the most awful bit of marketing blurb of 2015? Reading that made my teeth itch.
 Ian W 28 Dec 2015
In reply to deepsoup:

Give them a break, they are American after all.........
 deepsoup 29 Dec 2015
In reply to L.A.:

Yuk. But that's a different thing entirely.
 deepsoup 29 Dec 2015
In reply to Ian W:
> Give them a break, they are American after all.........

It'd be nice to feel superior, but we have plenty of greased marketing weasels of our own these days.

Anyway, another thing.. What the f*ck kind of a name is "Diode" for a jacket? Do they also do Transistor trousers?
 TobyA 29 Dec 2015
In reply to deepsoup:

Presumably because diodes only let energy go one way? So the insulation works like that? No more or less silly than naming a fleece after a Nepalese mountain or some such I suppose.
 Fraser 29 Dec 2015
In reply to Ian W:

> Give them a break, they are American after all.........

Just a suggestion, but it's probably not a good idea to post smug, bigoted comments if you're the chair of the BMC comps committee.
 deepsoup 29 Dec 2015
In reply to TobyA:

> Will Sim, Outdoor Research UK sponsored climber, has been putting his to the sword over the past year and say’s, "The Diode has become my mid-weight insulator of choice..."
<sic>

Should have called it the Insulator then. Whoever wrote this should be "put to the sword", which just to be entirely clear does not mean "used", "used heavily" or even "slightly abused" as the author seems to think. (If Will Sim spent a year slashing his jacket to ribbons with a stanley knife then fair enough, I owe the writer an apology.)

I'm just going to pretend I didn't notice that apostrophe.
 deepsoup 29 Dec 2015
In reply to Fraser:
Whoa. Bit harsh maybe?

(Ha ha - says me, immediately after calling for the summary execution of some hapless marketing dweeb.)
 TobyA 29 Dec 2015
In reply to deepsoup:
> Whoever wrote this should be "put to the sword",

I agree that they don't understand what the saying means, but somehow I find marketing blurb I can just totally ignore - doesn't bother me in the slightest. Now when it comes to supposedly proper journalism using cliches or misusing sayings or technical terms, that does annoy me, particularly when it is in the smug tones of the presenters on the Today programme. "Boots on the ground" annoys me no end. Can't you just say soldiers? And misusing "begging the question" - arggghhh.

From the US "officer-involved shootings" is the worse. The officer shot someone. If I punched you in the face (I won't, promise) it would be odd to describe it as a "UKC poster-involved assault".

It does look a nice jacket though eh?
Post edited at 10:50
 leon 1 29 Dec 2015
In reply to TobyA: From the US "officer-involved shootings" is the worse. - Worst

Oceanrower 29 Dec 2015
In reply to leon 1:

Superlative adjectives. Worst, worster, worstest.
 leon 1 29 Dec 2015
In reply to Oceanrower:
Worse -a comparative adjective used to compare two things with each other ie that jacket is worse than the other
Worst -a superlative adjective used when you compare three or more things with one another ie that jacket is the worst of all
Toby is comparing many cliches or misused sayings.
Post edited at 11:40
 Oceanrower 29 Dec 2015
In reply to leon 1:

I knew I should have stuck a smiley on the end...........
 Oceanrower 29 Dec 2015
In reply to leon 1:

I used to have this irrational fear of German sausage.

It's ok now, though, I'm over the wurst.
 leon 1 29 Dec 2015
In reply to Oceanrower: I once saw Meatloaf in a restaurant, choking on a piece of German sausage.

I saved his life that night.

I took the wurst right out of his mouth.

Ian W 29 Dec 2015
In reply to deepsoup:
Whoa. Bit harsh maybe?

(Ha ha - says me, immediately after calling for the summary execution of some hapless marketing dweeb.)

Indeed, some people may not have spotted our (clearly poor) attempts at humour....best be careful.
Post edited at 12:54
 deepsoup 29 Dec 2015
In reply to TobyA:
> somehow I find marketing blurb I can just totally ignore

Me too, much of the time. But that just makes it all the more jarring when a particularly egregious example, such as this, punctures that carapace. I probably could have ignored it had it not been for all the "®"s, but once they'd got my attention it was impossible not to notice the awfulness of the rest of the piece.

> is in the smug tones of the presenters on the Today programme. "Boots on the ground" annoys me no end.

Ugh. You're not wrong. I had to give up on Today in the run up to the last election (more on account of what the interviewees were saying, to be fair, than Naughtie et al). These days it's 6 Music all the way. I'm much less well informed, but it's a price well worth paying to not start each day depressed and angry...
 deepsoup 29 Dec 2015
In reply to Ian W:
Might be safer to stick one of those smiley face thingamabobs at the end...
 TobyA 29 Dec 2015
In reply to leon 1:

> - Worst

Absolutely: typing too fast is my only defense. (See what I did there?)
 leon 1 29 Dec 2015
In reply to TobyA:That is offensive unless you were making a pun about Parisienne suburbs (See how convoluted Ive made this reply?)

Ian W 29 Dec 2015
In reply to deepsoup:

> Might be safer to stick one of those smiley face thingamabobs at the end...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...