Catherine Destivelle Kendal Mountain Festival

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Co1in H 07 Nov 2015
Not only is she speaking at the Chamonix 150 years lecture on the Sunday but now has a slot on the Saturday as well.
Coincidentally Hayloft Publishing have just released the only English language version of her autobiography called Rock Queen, but there will be no copies at the lectures.
My copy is on order.
I am nothing to do with Hayloft by the way. I'm just passing on information that is not very visible at the moment.
 Jim Walton 09 Nov 2015
In reply to Co1in H:

Hi Colin,

It is a bit of a shame that they released the Peter Gillman lecture time and tickets a few weeks ago and now they have put her up against Ms Destivelle in the same time slot.

I wonder if it could have been possible to give her a different time slot? One can only suspect not.
OP Co1in H 12 Nov 2015
In reply to Jim Walton: It's difficult to plan for everyone I agree but an earlier slot for Destivelle I'm sure could be found if the will was there.
Gillman and Destivelle both have books to promote so it seems logical that they have a similar audience, Extreme Eiger and the 9th Grade both being impotant books in their field and both of interest to the same customers.

I think that despite changes in management over the years no one at KMF, since Porter and Hall, give books any really serious consideration. It's a difficult debate and everyone's priority is different.

Maybe it's time to bring back a proper Literature Festival as was held at Bretton Hall. It moved to Kendal years back so that it could have better exposure and meld with the other events in Kendal. It lasted for one event only and was buried the next year and alluded to through a small number of randomly located "Book Events".

See you there Jim!

planetmarshall 12 Nov 2015
In reply to Co1in H:

There were some great arts and literature events last year - for me Greg Lucas's "Bad Climbing Photography" was the highlight of the festival. It seems to have been scaled back a bit this year, though.
 Henry Iddon 17 Nov 2015
In reply to Co1in H:
For the last 2 years I've looked after arts and literature at KMF and do my very best to build varied and appealing program. Having been involved in the festival since 2000 - when Brian and JP ran it I fully appreciate the importance of a literature and events with more gravitas than just gnarl type events. Last year, with my formal roll as 'Arts + Culture Officer', we tried to reinvigorate a Lit/arts aspect similar to the Bretton Hall events previously organised by Terry. Niall Grimer had a bash one year ( the year you refer to) I'd like to think that this year has stepped up again from 2014 with a varied program. With the size of the festival it's inevitable that there will be some clashes.

The specific 'arts and lit.' events are here -

http://www.mountainfest.co.uk/programme/day/category/arts-literature
Post edited at 22:57
In reply to Co1in H:

Just bought a ticket to the Saturday event. I watched the Mali video when it first came out and then saw her at the Birmingham World Cup event many years ago so I am interested to see where she is at nowadays.
 Henry Iddon 17 Nov 2015
In reply to planetmarshall:

Mike Parker is this years 'Greg Lucas'

http://www.mountainfest.co.uk/programme/event/map-addict

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...