ME Bastion v Compressor?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bluebird 16 Mar 2015
Ok, I've got a Fitzroy jacket but in order to pare down pack size for general hillwalking And to keep the chill off when stopped/ about wildcamp in poor weather I'm thinking about the ME Bastion jacket, but then I've just happened upon the ME Compressor jacket. Wondering if anyone could offer a recommendation? Would be used for UK conditions hence interest in synth.
Cheers
BB
 timmeehhhh 17 Mar 2015
In reply to Bluebird:

I have the Fitzroy jacket and the Compressor hooded jacket. The Fitzroy is my go-to warm jacket that I wear for winter climbing, but also around town. I use the compressor as my belay jacket for summer alpine climbing, and as a mid layer for winter climbing in cold conditions. I like the weight savings of the Compressor, but the Fitzroy is warmer and has a more robust feel to it. They layer together really well.

The Bastion seems to be more of a stand-alone piece, that combines an insulation layer with a softshell. More weather resistant than the compressor, but less breathable.
 TAG_UTLEY 17 Mar 2015
In reply to Bluebird:

I can second the comments on the Fitzroy and the compressor. Compressor is great as either a layer or as belay jacket(cannot comment on alpine use-hopefully this summer will change this), although I have found that climbing in just that over the winter is plenty comfy enough if not too cold and not moving too fast. Being so light it really doesn't feel like a problem to carry it. The outer material isn't very very tough, and have noticed a couple of holes/nicks in the face fabric, but nothing a little tape can't solve. Fitzroy is excellent as the instant warm piece for longer pitched climbs, or if out with groups as an emergency super warm layer, and great for if you're standing around outside for long periods e.g. fieldwork. Absolutely bomb proof and even sheds rain pretty well. Walked out from the Ben in it a few weeks ago after getting soaked to the skin, threw this on to warm up and by the time I had got to the car I felt like I was bone dry, except all I had done was successfully steam myself, but I was very cosy!
In reply to Bluebird:

I have a Compressor, use it as a belay jacket in winter. It would be too warm/bulky as a mid layer, under a shell in my opinion, then again I sized it to go over everything.

I have an original Prism, definitely not as warm, perfect as a mid layer, similar weight and pack size. I have also been given a Nano Puff Vest, fantastic warmth for very, very little weight.

Stuart

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...