PRODUCT NEWS: MSR Hubba NX Tent Series

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 29 Apr 2014
MSR Hubba Hubba NX, 3 kb

New MSR Hubba NX tent series offers lighter weight and greater livability in four new models. 

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=6268
 L.A. 29 Apr 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

' the recreated Mutha Hubba is 88kg (1 lb. 15 oz.), or 30%, lighter than the previous version '

Really ? You sure on that figure ?
 FreshSlate 29 Apr 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

Someone forgot a dot! Oh snap.
 connor 29 Apr 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

Tents that pitch inner first, useless in the uk?
 FreshSlate 29 Apr 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

Yeah it's definitely for the American back packers, they often won't bother putting the fly on.
 Grigor 29 Apr 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

Thankfully, if you have the additional ground sheet then it can be pitched fly first (or fly only as a rain shelter).

They're not cheap but the Hubba range of tents are genuinely very good - the detail design and pitching versatility are great. Just wished they included everything at a slightly cheaper price...
 TobyA 29 Apr 2014
In reply to connor:

> Tents that pitch inner first, useless in the uk?

Why would it be "useless"?
 Denni 29 Apr 2014
In reply to connor:

> Tents that pitch inner first, useless in the uk?

I've used just the inner from my TNF Tadpole many times in the spring/summer and left the fly behind.
Better than just a bivvy bag, really lightweight and definately not useless.
 connor 30 Apr 2014
In reply to UKC Gear:

Any "inner first" tents I have had out in the highlands have been a pain, wrestling the fly on in gale force winds, while the inside of the tent gets wet.

I'm sure they have their uses, I was just being the devils advocate really.
 FreshSlate 30 Apr 2014
In reply to connor:
To be fair, I think you're right. Pitching the inner first is extremely disadvantageous in wet conditions, which, as are we are well aware, are fairly common in the U.K.

This is not a tent built for U.K conditions, as mentioned on the other thread, the outer is not flush with the ground, therefore driving rain soaks the occupants and contents of the tent. If the weather is guaranteed to be dry and calm (which of course it never its), one could simply forgo the tent.

Americans often just sleep in the inner, if they think it will rain they set up a tarp suspended above the tent rather than using the fly. This whole 'pitching in the rain' malarkey rarely happens. I had lots of comments on the bomb proof nature of the obviously weather proof U.K. style tent we took last time I was over there.
Post edited at 14:35
 TobyA 30 Apr 2014
In reply to connor:

But they often tend to be stronger once pitched than the old fly first style. I do think many modern tents where inners and outers go up together seem to work rather well, but I've used my Terra Nova Solar (inner first) for over a decade and have never got the inner tent "soaked" putting it up in the rain. You just need to be organised to get the the fly over quickly or if not to windy lay it out over the inner as you sort the poles out. I've also had a the MSR Hubba for about five years now and not have problems with rain blowing under the fly (even on a foul night out in Glen Nevis) but it is true that if its windy and the snow is powdery, then powder snow will blow under. Normally by stamping down snow pack (or shovelling snow up around it) you can stop it happening but its annoying on windy cold nights!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...